Tiger striped: Clay Tiger in N…

I have had a plan to build a China clay based layout for probably most of my life. Schemes come and go but it wasn’t until my realisation of the possibilities of N scale that I began to collect suitable rolling stock, usually a sure sign that ‘one day’ something might happen. Clay hoods led to 50149 and some CDAs which led to a Polybulk and some vans which led to… this EFE Rail PBA…


I was very excited when the EFE Rail N gauge models were announced. I had hoped they would follow the JIAs into the shrink ray and wasn’t disappointed. The end result though is not quite as refined and has a number of signs that this isn’t a Bachmann model (the slight bow in the chassis being the worst culprit). How else though would you get one of these distinctive models in N for less than £40?


I ordered an unweathered example as I prefer, in the main, to add my own. White is almost as difficult as yellow to weather, it certainly takes no prisoners if you lack finesse or your streaks aren’t vertical, or a spot or remnant of wash leaves a mark where you don’t want it… that said I’m pretty pleased with the results here, a mix of Humbrol 28 and 72 were used to blend together and add subtle variation to the various elements, applied wet on wet on the sides and then removed with a wide flat moistened brush. The chassis got some 245 added later, but I’ve not bothered with an airbrush, I think the finish works without the risk of spats of paint which would stand out like a sore thumb on the pale body.

 

Comparing to the EFE JIA, the latter (blue wagon) feel better designed and assembled with nearer details for a similar price, the Clay Tiger does have nicer bogies though. Compared to the Bachmann Polybulk the general ‘detail’ fidelity is similar but the Bachmann model has a higher quality finish.
.


Where does that leave the Clay Tiger? Despite its shortcomings it’s a worthwhile addition to the N gauge range and in my opinion is worth the sub £40 price you’ll find it in shops. An iconic example of the modernisation of clay by rail I needed at least one, even if it’s size will make shunting awkward on the eventual layout scheme! I’m pleased with her, and she completes another ribbon through my modelling life that stretches back to Len Vass (? Is that right?) scratch-building these in the 1980s in the Railway Modeller. Until next time though, more soon…



Donate
I love writing and creating material for the blog. If you enjoy what you read and engage with I would be appreciative of any donation, large or small, to help me keep it advert and restriction free.

Comments