Swept of our feet…

The Canadian National had a bit of a penchant for rebuilds - and of course the GP9 program was incredibly successful with examples STILL on the roster today in 2023, what an achievement for such a venerable machine. Not all of it's exploits were as successful, I give you the SWEEP...


The SWEEP (so called by rail fans for it's combination of SWitcher and gEEP parts) were an experiment in the mid 1980s to add 645 power assemblies to the 567 engined SW1200RS. Adding the hood from retired GPs allowed for improved cooling and the uprating to 1350hp, over the stock 1200hp. 10 were constructed but the cost was deemed excessive for only a marginal increase in power and further SW1200RS rebuilds kept the SW hood and power output, classified as SW1200RM.


However, these 10 locomotives have bags of character and ever since I stumbled upon a photo of one I have had an unexplainable desire to own a model! They're ugly, but they look so purposeful, the stubby short hood and modified cab almost have the look of an export model, whatever I had visions of a pair in my own livery moving logging cars around on a Pacific coast layout. Fast forward a few years and Kaslo Shops brought out the kit and I was one of the first recipients, it looks great and is a good mix of modern 3D print and traditional etched parts. 

The kit suggest the use of the old Athearn blue-box SW7/9 chassis - but this needs quite a lot of work to fit inside the hood. A Walthers Mainline SW9 was also tried, but the chassis on that includes the pilots and walkways, no good. I lost a lot of interest in the model for a few days after that disappointment but perseverance paid off and an old Lifelike Proto SW1 arrived from Hatton's and proved a good fit within the shell - and only a few parts needed modifying for the cast chassis to slide right inside! Perfect!

The only problem I hadn't solved was how to retrofit the flexicoil trucks over the Alco style 'blunt' trucks. These are a two piece clip on that holds the pick up plate in position. I decided to try a KISS approach, I drilled clearance on the back of the Flexicoil provided in the kit for a screw head, and then screwed the pickup plates to the frames. The new truck frame was superglued to the pick up plate - nothing complicated, no real modification required. It just works.

With the biggest challenges of the project now addressed thoughts turn to DCC install and work can begin on the body - I can't wait, this is going to be a wonderful autumnal build. Until next time, more soon...




Donate
I love writing and creating material for the blog. If you enjoy what you read and engage with I would be appreciative of any donation, large or small, to help me keep it advert and restriction free.

Comments