Miniature marvel: Farish 03 (N part 58)...

It's been some time since a post has warranted a 'N part xx' reference in the title. This small diminutive shunter is a remarkable thing and one that warrants that recognition...


The model captures the character of the smallest of British Rail's 'standard' designs and one that saw use across the country as yard shunters and station pilots. Originally released by Bachmann in the Graham Farish range in 2011 this particular example is from the latest 2022 tooling with DCC Next18 chassis with small coreless motor. The body shell and footplate are die cast metal, the cab plastic with wonderful flush glazing. Slow speed performance is exemplary - and I swear it has been sprinkled with fairy dust because despite it's ridiculously compact wheelbase it runs without hesitation on my small imperfect layouts.


Out of the box this was a blue example with conical exhaust - for my Gerald Road project I needed to recreate a childhood memory, the Mainline 03 in OO!! 03382 was a Lawrence Hill regular so needed to be recreated - I've not gone to the extent of repositioning warning flashes but otherwise this matches photos of the prototype using Fox decals for the numbering. One big change was the exhaust - only the first 35 locomotives of the 230 built were fitted with the conical exhaust provided on the current Farish model. I asked a modelling friend Paul to turn one up for me and he's done a wonderful job.

 

The model was weathered with a satin lacquer and my usual washes, studying the photos of the engines in Bristol in particular. Ideally, I'd have liked to respray the blue a little lighter but chose for simplicity to stick with what Farish specified, sometimes life is too short. 


Looking at these on the big screen of your laptop or tablet they're very very cruel close ups - and yes, the model features chunky wheels and oversized rods. However, my passion for recreating this prototype wasn't fuelled by the real locomotive but rather the model that belonged to my Dad. Perhaps then, the fact that this is a model of a model, means that my heart fuels my head and these details can be overlooked. Seeing it on my bench as well as the embryonic stages of the layout fills me with excitement and energy for the way our hobby can enrich our world and make connections throughout our lives. Until next time, more soon...


Donate
I love writing and creating material for the blog. If you enjoy what you read and engage with I would be appreciative of any donation, large or small, to help me keep it advert and restriction free.


Comments

  1. The Farish 03 really is an amazing little beast...I bought one some years ago, in BR green with wasp stripes and flower pot exhaust, as I wanted to portray a version of the Highworth Branch workmen's train on my N Gauge layout. I love your idea of making a "model of a model" and it really does look good. Not doing much modelling at the mo' as we're packing up as much as we can in preparation for putting the house on the market in a few weeks time. As each box of stuff is packed, sealed, and put in store, I can't help wondering when I'll see it all again...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Simon lovely to hear from you. I think these latest 03 are even better with a chassis tweak from Bachmann, just such wonderful performance from a ridiculously short wheelbase!

      Good luck with the house move, I hope it all goes smoothly. It must be hard to sort through so much stuff whilst packing, but a chance to clear out as well as save and look forward to seeing once again on the other side!

      Delete

Post a Comment

Thank you for leaving a comment on my blog - I appreciate you taking the time to share your views. If you struggle to log in, please turn off the ‘block cross-site tracking’ setting in your browser.

James.