Frivolous unnecessary and wonderful…

I wasn’t expecting this to arrive until later this year, the Atlas GP40 in Susquehanna yellow and black turned up a few weeks ago but I put it away until my birthday…


As adults we often use birthdays and Christmas as justification for buying a new toy, but in todays world of pre-orders you never know when your ‘present’ will arrive. Whilst there are plenty of annoying detail errors the model still manages to awake the child inside me - it’s quiet, smooth and it feels exciting and right and frivolous and unnecessary and wonderful. I’m enjoying the very sight and sounds of it crawling about Beaverbrook and reliving some of the videos by Railroading Rambler on YouTube. Those errors meanwhile can be categorised as ‘fun to correct’ or ‘insignificant’ - the ability to make her my own. Until next time, more soon…




Donate
I love writing and creating material for the blog. If you enjoy what you read and engage with I would be appreciative of any donation, large or small, to help me keep it advert and restriction free.

Comments

  1. Hi James

    Yes I know all about birthdays and pre-orders not coming up in time. I have just received a Athearn Genesis MP15AC switcher which I ordered for my birthday last year !!! and arrived a few weeks late for this years. However like you getting it makes up for the wait. I am happy with the detailing and the operation but will have to sort out the sound levels. This can wait, as few MP15ACs seem to have worked on shortlines in the Pacific Northwest and this unit is for a pulp/paper mill module I am building for my local railroad club. That will be based in the southern states so the switcher should fit in OK. The prototype for the module is actually the West Tacoma newsprint mill at Steilacoom, Washington which I visited in 1999 but seems similar to other mills across the US.

    Look forward to seeing the GP40 at Beaverbrook

    Best regards
    Alan

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Alan, good luck with the MP15, I always preferred the stubbier SW1500s, but the MP15s were more a Road switcher with low hood I guess?

      Delete
  2. Hi James

    I like the SW1500 as well especially having seen an photographed a few but thought the MP15 would make a more modern road/switching unit for a shortline in the 21st century. Will see how it performs in time

    Best regards

    Alan

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Thank you for leaving a comment on my blog - I appreciate you taking the time to share your views. If you struggle to log in, please turn off the ‘block cross-site tracking’ setting in your browser.

James.