The state of the art…

This pair of cars were bought from eBay for less than £20, and are truly wonderful little models full of character…


Whilst I’ve nothing against using models ‘off the peg’ I do tend to like to rework my locomotives, rolling stock and vehicles. This helps give a layout a homegenous feel. However, these two models are superb, yet of someone else’s hand…

I think they would work just fine, their small size helping them not stick out despite their bright colours chosen on purpose to brighten up the dreary inner city Bristol in the 1980s, the subject I have chosen to model on Gerald Road. That said I have already sanded the wheels to give them flats (so they sit nicely on the road) and I think I’ll probably lightly weather both so they blend more readily with my own palette.

How do you make use of models made by others, either in a China or by artisans closer to home? What is important to you when you consider the state of the art in your own work?

One to ponder. Until next time, more soon…


Donate
I love writing and creating material for the blog. If you enjoy what you read and engage with I would be appreciative of any donation, large or small, to help me keep it advert and restriction free.


Comments

  1. At a minimum, unify it with all elements in the scene with a light wash (or glaze) of weathering. Use the same wash you've used across all elements of the scene to visually link them all into a local harmonious family. This gives the sense of all elements belonging to the same space. De-glossing makes sense, too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. De-glossing is interesting because I have in more recent times tried to preserve some sheen in models to provide a contrast. For example, I’m currently weathering the Arriva 150/2 in N. I’ve applied a wash to the chassis and inner ends, but before I apply any airbrushed muck I’ve applied a Matt lacquer to just the roof, I want to preserve the soft sheen on the sides.

      All good stuff - thanks Dave

      Delete
  2. The Cortina is good, but what is the yellow one meant to be? Please tell me not a Princess?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Vauxhall something-or-other.

      Delete
    2. Paul, well the rear end is possibly a Cavalier or Firenza?Magnum but it doesn't scream it in the way the Cortina does

      Delete
    3. Viva Hc apparently. Just looked appropriate to me!

      Delete
    4. Once you are told it is an HC, you can sort of see it. We had two. I think whoever made this possibly confused the two very different styles of 2-door body the HC carried. The one thing it needs for an HC look though is more chrome at the front, especially that central divider. Paint the wheels chrome whilst the brush is out.

      It is easy for this to sound pedantic, but in their day this was a common car, and lots of people wiill have memories of them. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vauxhall_Viva#/media/File:Vauxhall_Viva_HC_1256cc_registered_June_1975.JPG

      Delete

Post a Comment

Thank you for leaving a comment on my blog - I appreciate you taking the time to share your views. If you struggle to log in, please turn off the ‘block cross-site tracking’ setting in your browser.

James.