Friday Update: Four Eight Twenty-three…

A week back at home after a holiday in Seahouses the previous, despite the kids being off school it’s been relatively busy here…

 

Before we start though, a few photos and comments from the holiday. It was wonderful to explore the area around Seahouses and we enjoyed the break. I saw a few LNER Azumas and reflected what a wonderful train journey it would make along this beautiful stretch if coastline. I was also amazed at the number of level crossings on this high speed line! In Seahouses itself every time I saw this store I thought what a great model it would make, perhaps one day I can fit it in some scheme. I’m sure I’m not the only one among us to ‘collect’ interesting structures for future projects.


In the workshop half of the week has been on books, as I finished off the commission plan book and have been editing the proof comments in my own book - still hopefully on track for publication this summer. On the bench itself the etched plates arrived for quad of narrow gauge locomotives destined for life in Australia, so these were fitted and that meant I could add glazing, which has been added with glue and glaze. I look forward to hearing how they find their new home in time, and with these clear I can push on with the 7/8ths Ruston Lb in the coming week.

 

On my personal bench, this pair of lovely 70s cars came from RedAndy on eBay. Exquisitely painted and finished they are perfect period pieces for Gerald Road, although I need a few more vans and smaller hatch backs too, and placed roughly in place on the road crossing I can see through them the rest of the scene there developing, when I can face wiring the damn thing up! I will endeavour to endure that experience this weekend! I’ve also collected together parts for another OO industrial model, utilising one of the newly revised Barclay cabs from Planet Industrials. These have a shallower roof angle. I will enjoy adding the various details to create a personal model, intention is for a mid green (to match the Pecketts) with red beams but black and yellow striping on the cab rear and tank front. I’m hoping it’s creation will fuel energy for another industrial layout, let’s hope so as I miss Pont-y-dulais.


On a personal note, it was my birthday this week. I think in todays world we still find it difficult to be honest about feelings and emotions, everyone likes to assume everyone enjoys a birthday. I find them hard, and always have done. They fuel a cycle of thinking that no one really understands me, and that can be a difficult mental cycle to be stuck within as everything that happens can be made to fit the assumption. As the day wore on things didn’t get any better but as the evening closed I felt the weight lift about half nine and was back on an even keel the following day. I know I’m not alone with the ups and downs I experience, and I hope that if you suffer similarly you appreciate my honesty and the hope that things can and do get better. If you don’t, then it must be hard to understand but I hope by sharing you get a window on what it can be like. Either way, I’m sharing this with good intentions. 

As the weekend approaches the thought of getting down to watch trains in the village appeals, the grass is incredibly long and Gerald Road’s wiring is laughing at me in the corner. It would be wonderful to get all three ticked off! I hope you can find some head space and enjoy your hobby too, until next time more soon…



Donate
I love writing and creating material for the blog. If you enjoy what you read and engage with I would be appreciative of any donation, large or small, to help me keep it advert and restriction free.

Comments

  1. I don't know if model makers are particularly prone to moments of angst. I've never recovered from the shock of asking people at an IT conference to raise their hands if they had had mental health concerns and seeing nearly every hand go up. But there is no doubt it can be theraputic, except when it highlights problems. Sometimes not being able to do a simple task, like drilling a hole for a handrail knob in the right place, can leave me in tatters, especially when the one on the other side was easy as pie.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I don’t know about the prevalence in creative occupations, but on a personal level, I can say to you I’ve been there… things improved when I was ready with hard work and some even harder life decisions but that was a decade or so ago when very deeply depressed following the passing of my Dad. All I really wanted to say was you aren’t alone.

      Delete
    2. And nobody should be. we often talk about hobby communities, but many generally are, with links that extend beyond the hobby into the real world

      Delete

Post a Comment

Thank you for leaving a comment on my blog - I appreciate you taking the time to share your views. If you struggle to log in, please turn off the ‘block cross-site tracking’ setting in your browser.

James.