Friday Update: Eleven Eight Twenty-three…

What just happened? From mild and slightly wet to swelteringly hot in 24 hours! This week has seem solid progress on the Ruston LB, proof reading complete on the book and submission of another book to a customer…


I’ve also managed a few trips out and about, including by train to Shrewsbury yesterday. This photo, above, was snapped on the return from the window (I should have held the phone on the glass to avoid the slight glare) and you can see Thomas Telford’s famous aqueduct towards the top right as we look up be Dee Valley towards Llangollen, more below and a proper post over the weekend. The dog has enjoyed the return of the sunshine more than me, she is definitely a sun worshiper!


I mention LB, that is pretty much all that I’ve been working on this week. I’ve got four chassis assembled and detailed, four bonnets built and detailed and I’ve made a good start on the cabs for two of them, the other pair being underground units that need the exhaust conditioner building. Here you can see a stack of sub assembled parts (left) and the smoothing and rounding of the laser cut window seals (right). These are multi-media models with a high degree of scratchbuilding and plenty of scope for customisation. I’ve not built two identical models yet, and that’s great fun.

 

Below the cabs are placed to check fit, but the arrangement of parts isn’t correct as one if the cabs is going on a 45mm chassis. What it does shows is how much space here batch builds take up in my small workshop. Parts spread around every flat surface when they’re not being worked upon!


Yesterday, as mentioned, I was lucky to travel on one of the new TFW 197 which was really interesting. They feel solid and well built, they’re a good ride too… seats are terribly uncomfortable though and the engines sound underpowered or at least it didn’t feel as quick as a 158/175, nor even a 150. We shall see how they last, but I’ll continue to try photograph and enjoy the old order too… I also had a walk down to the signal box in Glyndyfrdwy later to meet Terry Pickthall who was the duty signalman. I am helping out displaying Paxton Road at the diesel gala in September so was good to meet him and talk trains. Witnessed the 108/109 passing with the last train of the day too, which was great to see from the box.

 

This weekend I’ll continue work on Gerald Road and Wrecsam, both need some wiring attended to so there is no avoiding my least favourite job! Hopefully the weather cools a little too, as high twenties and me don’t mix too well! I hope you can enjoy some trains or modelling this weekend - until next time though, more soon…


Donate
I love writing and creating material for the blog. If you enjoy what you read and engage with I would be appreciative of any donation, large or small, to help me keep it advert and restriction free.


Comments