On the Rails: Shrewsbury bound…

The only thing certain is change. I’ve observed the new order of TFW Class 197 CAF units at Chester and Crewe over the past 12 months or so but until this week had not experienced them in person…

‘Transport for Wales’ 197018 at Ruabon, 11:17 on the 10th August with the 10:41 to Cardiff Central, nearly 40 minutes late after a crew problem at Chester.

This trip was an opportunity to take my daughter to Shrewsbury for the day. She hasn’t really travelled by ‘mainline’ train much in her life and I’m keen to open her eyes to the opportunity to travel further with relative ease at modest cost. This first trip hopefully will mean we visit Liverpool, Manchester, Cardiff and further afield. For me, it was a chance to alight at Shrewsbury and see the mechanical signalling first hand (how long, realistically, can it have left?) and a station I’d not walked about until now. I’ve captioned each photo with a few details.

‘Merseyrail’ 507005 and unidentified second unit - presumably heading south for scrap. 13:10 on 10th August 2023.

196108 ‘West Midlands Railway’ CAF unit, presumably similar to the TFW 197 but I’m not too familiar with these modern units other that to say their ugly as… 13:11, 10th August 2023.

‘Transport for Wales’ 153353 was packed full when it arrived from the Telford direction, I didn’t catch where it had come from. 13:13 on 10th August 2023.

Wandering down the platform to see the large mechanical box at the south of the station. This wider angle shot shows what I think is a ‘Transport for Wales’ 153/9 (one without accessible toilet) stabled on the left. ‘Harry Needle’ 37405 is stabled stage right towards Craven Arms. 13:15 on 10th August 2023.

Our ride home, ‘Transport for Wales’ Class 150/2 150230 at Ruabon after we’d returned safely, almost on time at 14:08, 10th August 2023.

These days I enjoy a lot of ‘period’ books and photos shared of the late 1980s and early 1990s on Facebook. It strikes me that as much as I lament the passing of those trains I am glad someone was photographing the hear and now. As much as these small selections I share here won’t change the world they are my part of capturing the current ‘modern image’, in all its changing form. I feel we may be on the cusp of loosing my favourite units, the 150/2, at least in North Wales. I must try and capture the Aber - Chirk timber train too, because I’ve heard rumours that a mobile ERTMS unit has been developed that will mean any train can run on the Cambrian. This is good for the railway but sad news for the days of Tractor hauled revenue freight on the network. Everything changes enjoy it whilst you can. The new isn’t all bad, unless you count the terrible posture and hard padding of the 197 seats. Even my daughter preferred the ride on the 150 more than the new unit! Until next time, more soon…



Donate
I love writing and creating material for the blog. If you enjoy what you read and engage with I would be appreciative of any donation, large or small, to help me keep it advert and restriction free.



Comments

  1. Transport for Wales 153353 will have come from the Heart of Wales line

    ReplyDelete
  2. There are a few nicely rationalised track layouts along there, loop and one siding type

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The Heart of Wales line is one I’ve always wanted to travel! I must try it before it goes to 197!

      Delete

Post a Comment

Thank you for leaving a comment on my blog - I appreciate you taking the time to share your views. If you struggle to log in, please turn off the ‘block cross-site tracking’ setting in your browser.

James.