Caer: Change here for nostalgia…

Standing on the platform at a station I feel an overwhelming sense of wellbeing and calm. Quite why remains somewhat of a mystery to me but more recently I have certainly rediscovered and revelled in it…


It is this emotional connection that fuelled the idea of creating a layout, somewhere to relive that feeling and find calm amongst the chaos of a modern home. That said, big stations take up a lot of space and that here is at a premium.

 

But what if we just took a 'picture' and cropped the contents, framed just a portion - it would still be a big station, just smaller. Could I take this approach to Chester? Before it's rebuilding you would walk into the foyer and whilst Dad turned left to the ticket office I'd wander off on those lazy sunday afternoons for a walk around the station. The platform on the right often would have a locomotive or unit stabled, and here you could get up close to it, enjoy it without the hustle and bustle of the main passenger areas of the station.


It is this part of the station that I proposed to crop down to around 70-100cm by about 25cm, and the thought of using the Welsh name, Caer, as it would not be an exact replica. Keeping things analog, following those pen and ink sketches I cut up old cereal boxes and began to get a feel for the physical constraints of working in N - and you know what, it feels doable, it feels right.


So why then, am I building Wrecsam Canolgan (Wrexham Central?) and Gerald Road right now and not Caer? - quite simply for the learning. Gerald Road is about honing my skills building complex structures in N, Wrecsam is about platforms and canopies and repeatable, neat architecture. These two form test pieces for the project to follow. 


My Dad used to repeat his catch phrase 'Nostalgia is for losers' to me when I talked about 'the good old days' in my teens, lamenting the British Rail I saw in books, he encouraged me instead to embrace the sectorisation era I was enjoying. Now 30 years on, nostalgia is a mindful balm for the social media, global news stories of doom filled world we live in - and I'm more than happy to embrace that. I wonder what your own experiences of railways would tell you about the models that could help you in the same way? Until next time, more soon...



Donate
I love writing and creating material for the blog. If you enjoy what you read and engage with I would be appreciative of any donation, large or small, to help me keep it advert and restriction free.

Comments

  1. That last image is particularly evocative. In my mind's eye I can see shafts of sunlight piercing an overall glass roof and leaving bright pools of light on the platforms and rolling stock. Nice one James.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I like the thinking. Awhile ago someone suggested a similiar idea built around the Milk Yard at Kings Cross.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It’s about picking somewhere that resonates on a personal level I think. Chester is my childhood, amd I live close enough to revisit and evoke similar feelings, reliving memories and making new ones. Most stations would support something similar, the question is better asked perhaps as what story do you want to tell?

      Delete
  3. Hi James
    Hope you had a good weekend.
    Interested in your concept of a layout to bring back memories and be as much a 3D picture with movement as a typical layout. While I agree with your father’s sentiments that you should not ignore the “now” before it becomes the past !!, there is something pleasing about having a personal interpretation of one’s past. Since I was never really a “train spotter” and trains were for commuting into London so stations would not be the place that takes me back. However I have many memories of visiting industrial railways and a cement works like Tunnel or Barrington as an inspiration with rails crossing a road and entering the works before going under conveyors and behind the works buildings. I think this would have to be in 4mm as I have yet to be convinced I can work in N even though your work is superb
    Best regards
    Alan

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I can see a 4mm scale industrial layout in your future Alan. As you say the prototype will be what ‘clicks’. I was surprised to rediscover and acknowledge my feelings about stations, Chester in particular, but it has been a refreshing new direction.

      Delete
    2. Hi James

      You may well be right about a 4mm 00 industrial layout - will have to see about space as usual

      Best regards

      Alan

      Delete

Post a Comment

Thank you for leaving a comment on my blog - I appreciate you taking the time to share your views. If you struggle to log in, please turn off the ‘block cross-site tracking’ setting in your browser.

James.