Reworking the JIA…

The EFE Rail JIA wagons in N gauge are wonderful models and not bad value for just under £40 for a large bogie wagon packed full of detail. They are decorated (and with the specific correct detail) for the China clay variants operated by DB in the South West and on flows to Stoke and further north too…

However, across the country in the North East another fleet of blue Nacco JIA operate. Initially in use on potash traffic from the mine at Boulby they now find themselves in salt and fertiliser traffic on the same route to AV Dawson in Middlesbrough, and hence my interest.

Studying photographs I noted the main difference was the power operated top hatch, rather than the wheel on the EFE model, so I pinged that off, whilst retaining the metal walk ways, which should be removed but look lovely! Modellers licence! 1200 grit wet and dry paper removed the Imerys markings and then a blue mixed to be a close match was used to paint the roof hatch and blend in the paintwork where the markings had been removed. A fade with Humbrol 28 applied by airbrush was applied and left to harden up, having noted the prototypes are a more faded blue than applied to the model.

A short note on colour. It would be easy to assume that to fade you should apply a white filter but that alters the colour quite harshly. In my experience Humbrol 28 is a good ‘ready mixed’ shade that gives the just the right alteration to a darker colour without loosing the tone of the original. Applied by airbrush only a thin mix is required, and go careful as it builds up quickly! I applied more from the top than the sides, which gave a good tonal variation to work from.

 

Weathering is an art - we study the prototype and channel the emotional connection to the hobby to recreate an impression of reality in miniature. Using my usual enamels I began with a wash on the chassis and ends of the wagon, wiping some off as I went with a thinners moistened brush. The rust on the sides was applied following a photo for position and left to go tacky and then removed slightly with the same thinners moistened brush in a vertical motion lending some rain soaked streaking. The distinctive horizontal ‘scratch’ isn’t on every wagon but several of the photos I studied showed this feature and I’d fancied trying something like this - same approach as previous. The same shades were used to paint the roof hatch as on this example this was almost rust coloured all over! The underframe and lower surfaces and buffers were washed with colder browns and grey.

The result is a subtle and varied finish. The layers of blue patching, fade, rust and dirt mirroring the prototype and feeling very much of the character of the large prototypes. Just because you run a fleet of wagons doesn’t mean they all need to look the same, I intend to repeat this approach on a second wagon and the variety between the pair will only go to reinforce the connection to reality. Subtle and carefully observed and created because I love model railways.


If you have items of rolling stock you would like me to bring to life then prices start from £30 an item, with discounts for larger quantities. I can work in any scale from N to 7/8ths, take a look through my previous commissions and own work to see examples of what can be achieved. I’m happy to discuss your exact requirements, get in touch for a personal proposal. Until next time though, more soon…








Donate
I love writing and creating material for the blog. If you enjoy what you read and engage with I would be appreciative of any donation, large or small, to help me keep it advert and restriction free.

Comments

  1. Hi James
    Your work in N-scale is inspiring but I still feel at my advanced years it is still too small. However I am impressed by the detail and the running qualities of the stock and what you are able to do with them.
    The AV Dawson project looks good and I am sure a similar layout could work for a North American style layout, in fact the JIA wagons look similar in size to the contemporary US hoppers.
    In an earlier blog you mentioned the GE 44-ton and I said I had some photos of similar units. I send sending some which you might like and can use if required
    Best regards
    Alan

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Alan.
      I find the excuse of eye sight is one I used to trot out too, but I wear a head magnifier whilst doing any work, the results just require a steady hand and some restraint.

      Thanks for the email, I can see another ‘Alan Sewell’ blog post next month!

      Delete
  2. Hi James

    Happy if you want to do another Alan Sewell blog. Hope your readers are as interested. Let me know what more you want.

    Best regards
    Alan

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Thank you for leaving a comment on my blog - I appreciate you taking the time to share your views. If you struggle to log in, please turn off the ‘block cross-site tracking’ setting in your browser.

James.