On Video: Making Tracks 3…

A similar time last year I shared my thoughts on Making Tracks 2 and the positive impact such an exhibition has on the hobby, for participation, awareness and just showing the 'general public' what a wonderful hobby we all share...

The layout has featured widely in the press with features on both BBC and ITV news as well as in the loca press - the result, a very popular show. We went on a Tuesday and for the hour and a half we spent watching the layout it was consistently one to two deep throughout the scenic section, the station certainly added a lot of detail and as with last year, the general quality of the modelling is good - especially considering the scale of work involved. I particular like the attention to detail in terms of the cantenary and associated equipment! One absolutely minor gripe, although it was nice to see the manufacturers supporting the layout with rakes of stock and locomotives I did feel that the choice of locos and rakes was a little hap-hazard, and it would have been nice to see more prototypical freight and locomotives, I don't think I saw a single Class 66!

One very popular element was the ability for children (and older children!!) to drive the layout using a hand held tablet - this seemed to generate even more energy in the younger visitors - and not everyone drove at full speed, there were some 'good drivers' amongst them!

I didn't really take any photos and only a little video - what I did was soak up the atmosphere - enjoy the performance and revel in the attention our hobby was receiving. In such a grand theatre as the ancient Cathedral can there be a better light to show how this isn't just about 'playing with toys' (although that is a big and unashamedly big part). I love model railways...



Donate
I love writing and creating material for the blog. If you enjoy what you read and engage with I would be appreciative of any donation, large or small, to help me keep it advert and restriction free.


Comments