Making tracks…

Several times a year I find myself reading a negative comment on a forum, Facebook or the magazines about the health and future of our wonderful hobby…


Today I took my youngest to the ‘Making Tracks’ exhibition in Chester Cathedral. There were an awful lot of grey haired enthusiasts surrounding, but there were families and there were children. This was a mid week day and I was impressed, these children were not interested in the Thomas going around - rather they enjoyed the spectacle of mainline trains passing on this expansive stage. There aren’t many layouts this big that run as well with a real mix of trains from steam era coal trains through blue and grey Intercity right up to current liveried Azumas and Pendelinos. I throughly enjoyed myself, crouching down to watch the trains pass at speed, memories of playing trains at Tim's house on his round the garage twin track mainline with a full length HST!


The sound and moving picture of the vvvrrrrrrrrmmmm whoosh whoosh whoosh whoosh... can you really beat this?


Despite the size of the scenic section the modelmaking is good and I particularly liked the lattice work on this bridge. In this example where the scenery is playing a supporting role it shows how important it is that is is neatly executed, consistent in detail, texture and colour.


My son enjoyed watching and videoing as did a lot of other youngsters, the lure of standing beside the railway watching trains go by is obviously one that hasn't been diluted in this internet age.


This was my favourite section of the layout and I’m sure many other people too enjoyed the spectacle of trains appearing and disappearing at different levels. It was quite difficult to photograph with the OHLE, various levels, inclines and embankments but just great to watch - which we did for over 40 minutes.


Above shows the layout goes as far as the eye can see, easily swallowing scale length express trains. A real spectacle. My only comment, and it's relatively minor, I would suggest the track behind the incline is quite difficult to watch if you’re a child, almost totally impossible for the first quarter, then not easy for the next either!


Some neat trains, these 90s were lovely, the second one has an LED fitted to the pantograph that ‘sparks’ - a very nice touch! I’ll finish this rather brief overview with a look at the equally expansive and almost as interesting fiddleyard!


I was heartened by seeing the layout in this setting with such a solid audience despite the mid-week late morning timing. I think our hobby is as strong as ever, and this layout showed people that there was more to model trains than train sets on tables. The scenic work was good enough to inspire but not so polished to be unapproachable… a difficult balance but one that the team behind the layout have nailed. Although I wouldn't have travelled if I wasn't so close, if you get the chance whilst in the area I’d thoroughly recommend a visit. Until next time, more soon…

Comments

  1. Interesting. We often make the mistake of presuming what other people think. Every modle railway show I've been to in recent years has featured children getting excited. Where the equation breaks down is products on the market that bridge the gap between toys and models

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think the Hornby Railroad range does that quite nicely, old Lima tooling with improved drives, robust models without details to snap off at a ‘more’ affordable price (still not cheap!)… what I wonder is missing though, is a club atmosphere that pulls in newcomers? Where do you learn skills without someone to lead or teach you?

      Delete
    2. Has the influence of clubs been over-stated? Most have never been that welcoming to youngsters.

      Delete
    3. I’m not talking about the past, but the bridge from toy to model you mentioned. I’m not sure this is possible without advice and guidance and teaching from others… that’s ok if your parents are modellers but I guess much more difficult if you’re a newcomer?

      Delete
    4. I think that is driven by inspirational models. Or do I mean aspirational? I could do that....

      Delete
    5. But even if driven by aspirational models it takes a brave soul to go beyond the flat train set on a table and try and build a model railway. Perhaps this is where the local model shop is the answer… somewhere to go for advice and encouragement (and to spend you’re money!)

      Delete
  2. Hi James

    That is one impressive layout and its location is interesting. I guess the knave etc gives space for a long run and for the public to move around.

    Like you and others I think the reports of the hobbies demise are more than a little premature. At all the exhibitions I have been to there are enthusiastic young attendees along with middle aged and older heads. There however seems to be a continuing misunderstanding of toy trains versus model railways.

    For the younger members there is Brio and Thomas the Tank engine ( both as models and the virtual version ) which have a strong following and there is play value in the Hornby and Bachmann ranges. There is also the continuing fascination with watching a train go by. However it has I think always been the case that by around twelve other pressures take over and not just school and girls/boys but if parents ae not interested themselves then the time and space needed for a model railway may be seen as un-necessary. I know in make case back in the very early 1960’s my Hornby Dublo went away because of the efforts to get it set up for a hour or so. It was not until several years later I got back in the hobby.

    The current digital electronics etc may keep interest alive or re-kindle it in the teens and twenties but in my opinion it is not until the late thirties ir even forties that model railways can get a real look in. Until then jobs, families, houses etc and consequent lack of time and cash are significant factors. After this the history and craft aspects of railway modelling can start to engage individuals. Here joining a club may be a way forward but a lone wolf approach can also seem attractive. At this point modelling railways is an adult leisure activity and seems to be increasing in popularity

    Best regards

    Alan

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Thank you for leaving a comment on my blog - I appreciate you taking the time to share your views. If you struggle to log in, please turn off the ‘block cross-site tracking’ setting in your browser.

James.