Paxton Road 2: Greening up (N part 19)…

Paxton Road 2’s compact footprint is working out perfectly for the pace of experimentation I’m keen to explore on this N scale adventure…


This weekend I’ve been working on scenery. The next hypothesis I wanted to explore related to greening things up, as with the ballasting and road surface I wondered if texture and colour were more important than true scale… for example,” grass should still be static grass, which of course is over scale, but the right texture. The colour should be muted and faded, rather than lurid greens”.


The results shown here are using my usual blends of fibres, but nothing longer than 4mm this time. The nettles and scrub use the same techniques I’ve used on both Kinross and Renfrew in recent times. All of these methods are inspired by Gordon Gravett’s ‘grassland’ book, published by Wild Swan, well worth the cover price, highly recommended.


That title photo clinches it for me, the hypothesis holds. Although the texture is over scale, it feels right, and more importantly the colours look natural. Remember though this is N… the whole layout is just 500mm wide, the shoe above barely 150cm wide, 200mm from front to back. I’ll say it again… this is N!

I offer a layout design and build service, if you’d like me to work with these theories and methods on your project do get in touch for a personal proposal. Until next time though, more soon…



Donate
I love writing and creating material for the blog. If you enjoy what you read and engage with I would be appreciative of any donation, large or small, to help me keep it advert and restriction free. 

Comments