A change of view (N part 23)…

Sometimes a second look at a model, or a scene you have envisaged on paper is an excellent and worthwhile pursuit because we don't always get things right first time..


Sure, experience helps, but despite this, and recognising the problem of shadows on backdrops previously I'd not considered this an issue for Paxton Road given it's small size, and had planned to place the silo at the back, quite close to the back-scene. This wasn't bad, visually, but it did cause a problem with the lighting on the back-scene, there was no denying it was less than ideal and I put it away to think about it.

The next time I got it out the silo got knocked over, and for some reason I decided to place it on the front spur and see what it looked like...


I liked it. I sent the photo to Chris...

I think I really like this presentation. I love how the view underneath frames the wagon behind and I like the way the train disappears behind it - this changes the silo to be something the train interacts with as another actor in this play. 

Plus, assuming this is toward the side/end of the scene the silo provides a strong vertical element in the scene the helps break the scene up. 

Finally, where so much of the conversation connects back to the The Bucolic Silo article in MRJ this takes the focal point of that story and prioritizes it within this scene.


We've not heard from Chris enough recently, but the truth is we're both really busy. I do still enjoy our interactions though, and often bounce ideas around with him. Sometimes a friend just nails it though, and the reason this presentation works, and works so much better isn't just because we've introduced a view block, or because the shadow problem is solved - it's because it connects with that shot on page 65 of the original inspiration. It is just 'right'.


'Right' in that emotional sense, the way it connects to the inspiration. I can't wait to take this further and add some more detail to this scene. For now though, the weekend nearly beckons, and somehow I've managed to blog all week despite the school holidays. I hope you're well and thank you for reading. Until next time, more soon...


Donate
I love writing and creating material for the blog. If you enjoy what you read and engage with I would be appreciative of any donation, large or small, to help me keep it advert and restriction free. 

Comments