Making things stick: a cement micro...

The Barrington cement works should not need much introduction to you all, but I'll attempt a potted history shortly. As well as a rail connection, it featured both narrow gauge and standard gauge internal systems and I would suggest is an ideal cameo subject for the industrial modeller...


Before I go any further, I'd like to thank Alan Sewell for the permission to use his wonderful photos to illustrate this subject, it is the character he captured in these well framed scenes that drew me into and had me sketching out ideas on paper. Thank you Alan. 

The works, in Cambridgeshire were built in 1918 alongside the quarry as the 'Dreadnought Portland Cement Company'. The light railway was opened in 1927 connecting the works to the London to Cambridge mainline, allowing both coal to be imported and finished goods to be sent by train. Dreadnought was bought by Eastwoods, later Rugby Cement, and finally part of the RMC group in 2000. The internal railway was decommissioned in 2005, and RMC was bought by CEMEX, who operated the works and quarry a further 3 years. I believe this means it was the last industrial railway system in operation in the UK?


The internal system linked with sidings at the mainline, running through the works and out to the quarry. Alan's photos, all taken from a public road that ran through the site I believe, show the works Sentinel shunting both HAA coal wagons and bogie cement wagons. The tightly curved bullhead track with long check rails, home brewed signals and an air of decline in these 1980s photos mean it gets the vote for my chosen time period - absolutely full of character.


Of course, we shouldn't overlook the star of the show, these plucky 230hp 0-4-0 Sentinel locomotives were seen in industrial service across the UK and beyond, and in OO we're treated to both chain and rod driven examples by Hornby as well as their new 0-6-0 model - any of which could be used in this scheme. The Accurascale PCA wagons are superbly detailed and because their so expensive you need only justify perhaps 2 sets of 3 - along with a set of their equally lovely HAA wagons. I'd plump for the 0-6-0 Sentinel I think, as it's a more reliable and slower runner in my experience, and I like the theatre of the outside fly cranks whirring around.

Taking a look at the scheme you'll notice I've sketched out a compressed version of the site, based on Alan's original notes, stealing the main scenic elements from these photos and arranging them in a manner that suits us as railway modellers. This could be both a layout to enjoy operating AND a layout to enjoy watching. I also pondered if it would work in an L format, and I'd suggest this is actually a better shape than the traditional straight shelf - the IKEA Micke desk would again work well here - as if you needed an excuse for a new work bench?


So a second scheme in less than a week - you can tell I've had a few days away from the work bench. I hope you've seen something in my wittering that appeals here. It is this distillation of a prototype that I cover in more detail in my new book, available from all good railway book sellers but especially Titfield or Light Railway Stores. If you haven't done already, please do consider getting a copy - and I hope it encourages you to build your own small layout.

Until next time, more soon...

Comments

  1. Hi James

    Very pleased the photos I took around the cement works at Barrington near Cambridge and the Barrington Light railway have given you some ideas . However you said this was the last industrial railway, but surely you meant the works had the last rail worked quarry (i.e the tracks went to the working face ). There are still some interesting industrial railways around – but not that many.

    Barrington was one of those nearby industrial systems that I visited, but not nearly enough, having made just five visits between 1966 and 2002. On every visit I thought “this would make a great model “ but then…...
    Another system would have been Thurrock Chalk and Whiting which was on the Thameside marshes and next to the Dartford Tunnel approach road!!! The rail system came into the works through a tunnel and then disappeared behind a number of buildings. I managed a few visits there and on one in 1965 my camera jammed and I took no photographs, but my notes say two Peckett and two elderly Barclay 0-4-0 saddle tanks were working with five more locos in the shed or under repair.
    I have always thought cement works many being out in the country but with interesting operations would make a good prototype, and surprised few if any are on the exhibition circuit or appear in the model railway press. There are certainly more models available now than were when I modelled in “00n4”. Taking your thoughts I will have to see if I can find a place for a “cameo” works

    Best regards

    Alan

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Alan, I'm glad you're pleased - I will take a look at the photos you've emailed for future ideas!

      Delete
  2. The top photos suggests some great ideas for semi-relief backgrounds

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, indeed. Some could even just be on the back scene if faded and muted nicely. Great photos by Alan.

      Delete

Post a Comment

Thank you for leaving a comment on my blog - I appreciate you taking the time to share your views. If you struggle to log in, please turn off the ‘block cross-site tracking’ setting in your browser.

James.