In my defence (N part 24)...

It was always an opportunity to move my British standard gauge modelling away from my frustrations with 16.5mm track towards something ‘closer’ to scale but things have got slightly out of hand recently...


The 'I just need a Farish blue Class 31 and a few speed link era wagons' was broken by the acquisition of the Dapol Class 26, then stretched backwards to the 1970s and some vacuum braked stock, then a Class 22 and now forwards again a Dapol Class 50, Defiance in the iconic Railfreight General. I've not re-worked much of this yet, instead choosing a more deliberate approach, slowly working through stock adding DG couplings and weathering, focusing my N gauge energy on the layout. This is a different approach for me, not just the scale but also the focus on the layout, using RTR stock to work at pace and learn about the other elements as a priority.


So rather than the Class 50, this post is actually about further work on the cement silo! I received a very well packaged delivery from N Brass including both ladders and handrails. By happy coincidence a set of 4 verticals of the latter fitted between each corner feed on the silo, and the ladder is much more realistic than the Ratio one I used on the upper section. These have really lifted the finesse, my eye is drawn to these and can glance over the heavier '4mm scale' corrugations and thick bracing on the silo, the mix of ‘weights’ feels acceptable and almost appropriate for the heavy construction it represents.


As well as the handrails I added a few more pipe runs and some hand wheels, not based upon anything in particular but where I thought, artistically, they might suit. The result? In my eyes a good balance, a supporting model that shows off the wonderful ready made stock nicely without taking attention. This is the modellers art, a skill practiced with time both in the mind when observing real structures (how would I model that) and reality (how can I model that). We’re deservedly proud of all the models we make, and this is something that rewards effort and practice. On Paxton Road, what’s next? The next step feels like  paint, and signage on the silo and starting to plan a few supporting buildings. I’m thinking a brick built office, and a provendor store our back. I’ve said it previously, I’m really enjoying this (N), until next time, more soon...



Donate
I love writing and creating material for the blog. If you enjoy what you read and engage with I would be appreciative of any donation, large or small, to help me keep it advert and restriction free.

Comments

  1. I love the feeling of these posts. There's an energy in this that feels so powerful and it's hard not to fall into it. N scale, and just trains based around 9-ish millimetre gauge track has been my muse for most of my life. So much so that I know when I'm layout planning it's "how well does N fit in here" that my mind wanders toward first. The simply amazing evolution in the quality of N scale models makes them as worthwhile to own as to collect--they don't just operate completely different (way better) than N from a generation ago but better than most models, in most scales, operated a generation ago.

    That 50 is a massive engine. I can imagine up to about the size of a 47 but that's about it. Something about that few extra feet in the 50's length stretches out further than my imagination can reach. In the larger scales it's hard to develop a place where it feels at home in its travels but in N that isn't so hard--we would describe the 50 in terms of its work out on the mainline, not how much we enjoyed watching it moving back into an engine shed. Even in a smaller space it still feels so much more at home as it brings a few cement wagons home with it.

    I keep telling myself my time in these smaller scales is done but your energy reminds me that maybe it's my way of thinking that needs to be retired not the joy these models bring and that's a wonderful gift to give. Thank you.


    Chris

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Fantastic Chris, great to see you here… the 50 isn’t so big if you’re familiar with Westerns! Tim had a few Lima 50s on his layout back in the day, I had a few Westerns and 47s too so we could do a pretty good impression of mainline running in Devon and Cornwall… this small 50 though does feel big, really big…

      I’m so excited that it may reignite your own N scale journey. These things are rarely done done…

      Delete

Post a Comment

Thank you for leaving a comment on my blog - I appreciate you taking the time to share your views. If you struggle to log in, please turn off the ‘block cross-site tracking’ setting in your browser.

James.