Down on Beaverbrook: Greening up…

I love this layout. It is accessible and available and joyful. I want to run a train, it’s there. I want to take a photo of a new locomotive project, it’s there. I want to build some structures, it’s there. Scenery? It’s there…


In just 8 ft the layout now sports bare baseboards with unpainted track, to this, almost finished scenery, as this weekend gone I spent a little time working up the first layers of greenery on the left hand end of Beaverbrook. There are no ground breaking methods here, just patience and a good blend of static grass colours and lengths.


My approach starts with using some base glue mixed with scenic cement. My trusty ‘precision’ static applicator from Peco works well in these small areas and allows me to work in variety quickly. Once this is dry I will begin to add more detail, longer yellow grass, some weeds and texture and then I can begin to think about fencing, signage and street lamps.


These low angle shots of the layout are how I see it every day. It is at eye level, I am rail fanning my own model, and this style of operation and scenic treatment has I suppose, become my signature. Although this is very much a personal project, and I don’t offer commissions with North American subjects, I do offer a layout design service, working with you to develop a scheme that meets your needs. Get in touch for a personal proposal. Until next time, more soon…

Comments

  1. That is looking really nice now , I particularly like the last eye level shot

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, it’s these eye level shots that not only spur me on, but also show you all how I see the layout every day, it is mounted high which makes working on it a little trickier, but operating it is easy, and results in views like this!

      Delete

Post a Comment

Thank you for leaving a comment on my blog - I appreciate you taking the time to share your views. If you struggle to log in, please turn off the ‘block cross-site tracking’ setting in your browser.

James.