The re-builds…

I've said it before, in fact at least five times, I love North American locomotive rebuilds. I love representing them in miniature, these characterful locomotives have subtle spotting differences over their every day brethren that make them a delight to represent in smaller scale...


Pictured here are left front, the Pinsly liveried 'Florida Central' CF7, right front the BC Rail CRS20, then middle front to back we have the Halifax South Western's ex CN GP9RM, New Brunswick Southern's ex SP GP38-3 and at the back, a modern 'rebuild' (on paper only really, but we'll include it) the Canadian Pacific GP20C-eco.

What these models all have in common is I loved building them. They are so full of character, each with it's own back story, all have a welcome place on Beaverbrook and ring the changes nicely depending on how the mood takes me. Some started as basic ready to run models (the CF7 and GP38-3 were both Athearn ready-to-run) with lots of added details (like we did in the old days). Others were resin kits (the GP9RM and CRS20) mixing resin and etched parts, these go together nicely but often need careful work to get the crisp square edges we expect from a modern diesel. Finally one was even 3D printed (the GP20C-eco) which was a different challenge again. All custom finished, all weathered, all mine.

On some projects I find a 'leading actor' sets the stage, and a whole layout concept evolves because of one model. What I particular love about Beaverbrook is that all of these models can be lead actors, and all look equally at home. It truly is a blank canvas for my 'habit' of building North American second generation geeps! Until next time, more soon...





Donate
I love writing and creating material for the blog. If you enjoy what you read and engage with I would be appreciative of any donation, large or small, to help me keep it advert and restriction free. 

Comments