Florida Central CF7: Ready for service…

This project is the result of a book, and I make no apologies for yet another diversion, I love the prototype, I love rebuilds, I love Pinsly red…
I wanted to try out some KV models parts too, I’d heard good things and the Athearn CF7 is a great basis for an improvement. It really rewards careful working over, I’ve added plenty of extra detail, but if you remember it started by working over the paint stripped model to remove mould lines from the aging Rail Power shell. On the ends a myriad of hoses and cut levers were fabricated based upon photos. The CF7 reused the same bottom mounted cut levers, which are quite distinctive.
The other big improvement is to the fuel tank, and this is simply plastic-card overlays and details. It’s amazing how an hour spent on this part of the model has completely transformed the appearance. The truck frames had brake lines and sand hoses added, whilst the outer brake shoes were removed. A strip of plastic micro-strip along the bottom edge of the frame netter matched the prototype model. Up top, the KV walkways and rad grills transform the long hood. The cab roof was smoothed and then the aerial relocated to the rear, and a Details West air con unit replaced the original moulding.
Paint work followed, and a rich gloss red served as a good base for the Highball graphics decals. They’re not a 100% match to the prototype 56, but they were close enough for me. I did replace the number board transfers with some numbers from an ageing Slaters LMS wagon OO kit! They were a much better match. The railings and handrails were reused, apart from the front bonnet rails, which I replaced with a thicker section. The handrails were moulded in yellow for Santa Fe, so I just painted the stantions in red. 
Finally weathering, my usual steps, the panel line / pin wash used a warm brown on the body, and a usual grey brown on the walkways. The airbrushing softens the finish, and dry-brushed gunmetal lifts the edges. The finished model looks and sounds great, I can’t wait to move the scenery on Beaverbrook forwards over the winter and get some in-action photographs. I until next time, more soon…

Comments

  1. Lovely work! What book - was it the new Pinsly history?
    - Trevor (Port Rowan in 1:64)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Trevor, indeed yes, the Garbely book. I wrote about the effect it had when it arrived (if you click the link ‘result if a book’) and I didn’t expect to have a CF7 this quickly but I thoroughly enjoyed the build.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Thank you for leaving a comment on my blog - I appreciate you taking the time to share your views. If you struggle to log in, please turn off the ‘block cross-site tracking’ setting in your browser.

James.