Red with black stripes…

I’m not describing my namesake in Thomas, but the livery of the Pinsly short lines are described and documented in a wonderfully produced new book from Dr Cary Poole and Eric Bickleman, published by Garbely in the US…
I tracked down a copy through my usual US book supplier in the UK, Linda Tinker books. It’s not cheap but the quality of the board pages and reproduction feels like it reflects the price tag. The authors have begun with an overview of the company and then take each line in chronological order to bring us up to the present day… 
Some lovely evocative photographs, well written history combined with some colourful stories make this a nice book to read, to dip into and sometimes just browse photos… 
It encouraged me to dig out my Claremont and Concord 44t, to dust off my plans for a layout, again, and to day dream of another out of place locomotive to run on Beaverbrook… the CF7s are strange beasts but look lovely in the Pinsley livery hence this blogs title. What book are you enjoying at the moment? Whatever it is I hope you have time to relax this weekend. More soon… 

Comments

  1. When I saw your post I had to investigate further as I thought Pinsly had gone out of business as they divested themselves of several lines in recent years. But no they were still in business although shrunken from what they were and so I ordered the book from my usual supplier in the States. It arrived today and like you I am impressed. I am even more so having skimmed through it and found the Arkansas section which had a big lumber component and operated two of the old Potlatch Forests shortlines ( the Prescott & Northwestern and the Warren & Saline River) plus some interesting insights into operating these railroads. Will be studying these in detail in the next few days
    Thanks for alerting us to this excellent book
    Alan

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Pleased you've found the book enjoyable so far Alan... I've got a CF7 here with a pile of parts on order from KV models in the states to work it over before repainting in Florida Central... slippery slope!

      Delete

Post a Comment

Thank you for leaving a comment on my blog - I appreciate you taking the time to share your views. If you struggle to log in, please turn off the ‘block cross-site tracking’ setting in your browser.

James.