Porthgain at Porthgain…

Regular readers will know Porthgain holds a special place in my memories, it’s probably my favourite place and a few years ago I built a model of the Andrew Barclay in 009…
My Porthgain in 009, in the shed, last home to an engine in the 1950s
Despite visits several times a year I’ve never remembered to bring the model with me, but this time I brought her and my Oakwood Press booklet…
Over the years I’ve domcumented the slow decline of the remaining industrial archeology, measuring sleepers, documenting finds, surveying the surviving structures… always intending to model the prototype in some way at sometime, I’m no closer today than I ever have been. That is not to say the dream is over, but I’ve yet to determine a scheme that will fit the space available in the time available.
It was good to compare photographs to the remains today, it’s such a shame that more wasn’t documented in photographs, and despite my efforts at the county archives in Haverfordwest I’ve not managed to find anything about how the bottom of the incline connected to the lower quarry level as even accounting for storm damage and land slips the gap seems to be to large to bridge without some sort of bridge (!). 
The engine shed has lost a wall and the scrap man took the Hudswell Clarke and the old water tank… however the atmosphere is all still there, and it was a lovely walk, evening weather brightening as the sea mist rolled in and cleared slightly…
So for now, plans are dormant, but Porthgain is never far from my mind, and I’m sure one dat I will scratch the itch. Until next time, more soon…


Comments