HSWR GP9RM: Weathered…

The Halifax South Western GP9RM is finally finished, I made use of the airbrush at the same time as working on Victory. However, I can’t pose it on a finished layout in the same way! I love green and how the livery sits on the model…
Sound fitted and with working LED headlights, it marks a another chapter of my H0 journey, a resin kit with etched details and soldered handrails… the ESU Loksound sounds superb through the RailExclusive speaker, the headlights bring the model to life and weren’t too difficult to fit to the resin shell.

I had pre-shaded the bodywork before adding decals, however I needed to add this over the decals to pick out the edges of the hinges and doors. Once dry I added a wash to the flat surfaces, walk ways etc before airbrushing dirt over the under frame, lower body and exhaust on the roof.
The final touch was adding dry brushed gun metal to the handrails and step edges, which lifts these edges and adds a touch of realism otherwise not possible with washes and airbrushing alone.
Following the success of this kit, next up is a BC Rail CRS20 which has pictured in a Friday update in the past… this is a resin shell again, to which I’ll be adding lots of etched details and handrails… I’m excited because I’ve always loved BC Rail, I’ve sourced a custom mixed sound file for the Caterpillar re-powered prototype… it’s not perfect, but a good match and characteristic of the different noise of the prime mover. However, I’ve a drawer of cars that need weathering as well as a lot of structures to begin work on. More soon…

Comments