Double trouble: Englewood 304 in N…

Alongside the N scale model Canfor 303, one of the four EMD SW1200 on the Englewood system, I’ve also been working on a model of 304…
304 was originally a Coos Bay lumber machine, purchased to supplement the existing 3 machines at Englewood. She was the first to be rebuilt with a CAT 3512 power unit, completed in the late summer of 1997, and turned out in smart red and silver paint. Later, the doors were re-arranged to improve ventilation and later still large grills added to each bonnet in front of the cab. However, as rebuilt she still had the clean lines of her as built condition apart from the radiator dam being remounted on top of the hood in a new shroud, and a giant exhaust silencer on the top of the hood between the brake air tanks. 
As a model it was significantly different enough to warrant a second SW1200 in my N scale adventure. I modified both the 3D and 2D design artwork to produce etched and 3D printed details for the dynamic brake blister, rad fan and exhaust. These were fitted and blended in before painting started.
The model was primed, then sprayed with red paint. This was masked before the black was applied to the roof and top of hood. The body and cab were masked again with the black and red marked out to allow silver to be applied. This was sealed with clear lacquer and Matt black applied on the footways.
Custom transfers I designed to fit were produced for the model, and once applied the whole thing was sealed with dull-cote. The last step was reassembly, fitting the handrails, cab glazing etc. Only one step repairs, adding a dark wash to the grills on the dynamic brake assembly, and a touch of exhaust dust to the roof and top surfaces. I want it to look freshly out shopped from Nimpkish. It’s been a fun diversion from my personal H0 scale modelling, but it’s left me with the question of what next in the N scale journey? Until next time, more soon…





Comments

  1. James

    Looks really good. Are you going to fit the "tool boxes" on the trucks as on #303?

    Just amazed how quickly you can turn these projects round. I takes me weeks just to collect the materials and I have been trying to work on my logging camp for about two years. However "playing trains" gets in the way

    Best regards

    Alan


    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Alan. In the photos I originally worked from, they had been removed on 304, but certainly they were present at rebuild so I need to look at it again.

      Delete
    2. Hi James

      Have sent you a few photos showing #304 before and after CAT conversion- all with truck tool boxes. Hope they are useful

      Alan

      Delete

Post a Comment

Thank you for leaving a comment on my blog - I appreciate you taking the time to share your views. If you struggle to log in, please turn off the ‘block cross-site tracking’ setting in your browser.

James.