Commission: TinTurtle in 16mm…

This is the first of a pair of Swift Sixteen tin-turtle armoured Simplex I’ve been building, this one being 16mm/ft scale…
This model is fitted with a hybrid radio control and DCC system so it uses Paul Chetter’s sound file yet is battery operated radio control and sounds, and drives superbly…
My customer was keen to depict a preserved example so we based the finish on the real locomotive. I’ve covered the experiments in creating a patchy paint previously, here, this has now been weathered which brings the model more completely to life.
Tin Turtle Day 2
The real thing, here left, at Leighton Buzzard.
There is nothing new in my approach, time patience and my usual blend of methods and standard colours result in a gentle yet effective finish that feels real without being a caricature, overstated in parts but overall a believable piece of miniature modelling.
One aspect I’m really pleased with is the exhaust spatter, this seems to occur on the real locomotives, and I achieved it by opening the paint flow before starting the air on the airbrush, before then softening the effect with more exhaust more gently sprayed.
The worn paint shows through the finish and proves one of my other ideas about finishing, that the paint stage is as important as the weathering itself. Whether it’s pre-shading or a patchy satin matt finish, they have their place in the modellers toolbox.
If you have a kit, in any scale, gauge, prototype, that you’d like me breathe life into then get in touch using the contact form, email, Facebook or the forums for a personal proposal. More soon…

Comments

  1. You did an amazing job with this creation ... the details ... the colour ... and the weathering look spot-on.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Rob, it’s a lovely thing. I’d really love to keep it! Always a sign of a good commission.

      Delete

Post a Comment

Thank you for leaving a comment on my blog - I appreciate you taking the time to share your views. If you struggle to log in, please turn off the ‘block cross-site tracking’ setting in your browser.

James.