Back to Blaenau…

Put the kettle on, get yourself a biscuit and enjoy a few photos of today’s trip on the Ffestiniog Railway…

I’ve not been on the railway since this time last year and was so happy to hear that I’d be able to do the whole trip ‘Back to Blaenau’ this time, it’s a wonderful journey and today the weather was fantastic. I can’t remember the last time I’ve had sunshine in Blaenau Ffestiniog!
The tide was well out on the Cob, and as we left Blanche arrived for a Woodland Wanderer service…
At Tan-y-bwlch we crossed with the earlier Woodland Wanderer, in the capable hands of Lyd. I love these classic coaches and plan a ride on this service later in the summer.
Crossing the line on the Ddualt spiral…
…and as we reach Tanygrisiau the clouds gather and the mountains and slate loom, I worried the weather might turn…
…but I needn’t have worried as the sun continues to shine. After a wander round Blaenau Ffestiniog and spending some money on the kids with ice creams we wander back to the station to see David Lloyd George - and a kind crew, driver Paul and fireman Clare - thanks for the conversation and encouragement for my son.
Relaxing on the return journey, our coach for the day was the ex Lynton and Barnstaple coach, the infamous ‘Snapper Bar’ - seriously can there be a better place to watch the world go by?
Passing Blanche on the last Woodland Wanderer of the day…
Heading back to Porthmadog…
Boston Lodge looked emptier than when we left, and Taliesin’s boiler has been successfully lifted, and sits outside the works…
Finally, as we pull into Porthmadog platform 1 I notice he lights on Britannia Bridge… and Garrett NGG130 appears with the Glaslyn Venturer…
It has been a lovely day, and a wonderful journey that felt safe, and sensible with their Covid regulations and arrangements. I encourage you all to support your own favourite preserved railways, they need our business, and it’s no hardship to have a lovely day out. More soon…


Comments