Englewood 303: the N scale switcher…

It’s not quite finished, but I wanted to share photos before I gently weather it, this is the first of my Canfor SW1200 in N scale…

The model is built from a Lifelike SW1200, fitted with Microtrains Flexicoil truck frames. I then designed and had the dynamic brake, air tank, frame tool boxes, fuel tank parts made from 3D printing and etched metal…
…after painting I fitted the transfers I’d specifically drawn up and had professionally made, and then sealed with dull-cote. The trucks and tank have had a wash of black, but otherwise it’s fresh ‘out of the box’ and needs toning down.

The question is, does it pass muster? I’ve played a careful balance on detail vs scale (these photos are cruel enlargements of a tiny model). Have I got it right? I think it’s probably about right, imagine it a little dirtier with a train of 8+ skeleton wagons snaking through a mountainous tree covered terrain… I think the model will work in this setting. The only think I’m not 100% confident about was the handrails and grabs, and perhaps these may have worked well being replaced. However I figured it was more important to have them straight and neat rather than separate.

I’ve had a lot of fun with this so far, and it’s exciting to get close to a finished model, this N scale journey is all a new experience for me, and it’s great to be growing. More soon…

Comments

  1. James
    #303 looks pretty good and would be a home with a train of log cars, a water car and a caboose, standing in for one of the Cat conversions when they were in Nimpkish shops.

    The only stand out differences from the real thing are the shape of the front and rear hand rails and the lack of drop steps and MU-stands. It seems as if these were all fitted new or at least were there by the 1960’s. Also the air horns should really be on the front edge of the cab roof and when I saw 303 it had a skate type radio aerial but that would be pretty difficult to do in N-scale. However none of my comments detract from how well you have managed to capture the SW1200. It seems that Englewood kept their lokeys pretty clean, so the current level of weathering and general condition would in my view be about right.

    Look forward to seeing more in the future

    Best regards

    Alan

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. These models are tiny Alan and it’s about choosing what works best in this scale. The lifelike end handrails are pretty robust yet commendably fine, so I made the executive decision to leave them, I know strictly speaking they’re not right. Modelling is art, and I consider myself an artist, you will see my hand in all my work. A light touch weathering will really lift the finish, and I’m excited to try it in N!

      Delete
  2. Yup ... that is amazing modeling ... and not just for being N-scale.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Rob, I have really enjoyed working on this one, the smaller scale has been a great challenge.

      Delete

Post a Comment

Thank you for leaving a comment on my blog - I appreciate you taking the time to share your views. If you struggle to log in, please turn off the ‘block cross-site tracking’ setting in your browser.

James.