Englewood step one…

Whilst holidaying in Scotland last week I consumed the book ‘Last of the Railway Loggers’ I’d bought from the Campbell River museum. It got the creative mojo fired up and I reflected on my N scale experiments and where to take them next…
This is just a short post to share that journey. Having considered models, track and ballast the next logical experiment in more scenery and structures. I need a small board to work on, both for storage and to allow completion in a short period. However I also wanted something that could perform other functions, such as a photo plank and backdrop, perhaps also allowing reuse of the scenic elements on the long term layout…

There seem to be two options which are level pegging at present, these are the car repair shops at Nimpkish or the ‘roundhouse’ (neither round nor a loco shops) at Woss. These structures are neat and easy to work on, yet will allow me to try my hand in the smaller scale. The Nimpkish track plan arrangement might edge it, but the Woss structure is more interesting. We’ll see what falls out in the wash… for now, here are my doodles sketches from the sofa with a view. Until next time, more soon…

Comments

  1. James

    Sounds as if you had a good holiday and am sure you enjoyed reading “Last of the Railway Loggers”. Hopefully your family let you have more than just one day looking a railways.

    Interested that you seem to have decided to do something around the shops at Nimpkish which I think would be a good choice for a small module. I spent a few hours around the shops in 2006 and 2003 and could draw up a track plan from the photos I took, if that would be of any use to you. I also have photos of the buildings, the shop switcher, several different cars and other details.

    Best regards

    Alan

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Alan, you’re getting a little ahead of me, this is not intended to be a layout, merely a scenic test… however any help would be very courteously received… thank you.

      Delete
    2. Hi James

      Was not thinking you we going to start a big layout but if you had the time and space for a module then Nimpkish camp might be a good prototype and if I can help then let me know. One point when looking at your great sketches- you note there were no windows on the left side of the shop. When I took photos of the side of Car Shop 1 in 2006 there were two small windows on the left hand wall - can't remember on the right hand as it was pouring with rain and my enthusiasm was a bit dampened

      Alan

      Delete

Post a Comment

Thank you for leaving a comment on my blog - I appreciate you taking the time to share your views. If you struggle to log in, please turn off the ‘block cross-site tracking’ setting in your browser.

James.