Englewood in primer…

I think I’ve said it a hundred times before but I love the primer stage, when your modelmaking becomes a coherent whole, and with these smaller N scale models it is no different…
This isn’t so much an ‘N scale’ series post, more a ‘I’m excited to share these models’ post…

Despite not yet sharing more about my prototype, or even model plans, I present a pair of SW1200RS I have created using the Lifelike N scale model as a basis with my own design 3D printed and etched parts, one of many skeleton cars required, from a much modified Nscalekits kit, and a GHQ models logging truck…
The SW1200RS deserve a few more photos… this is Canfor 304, the fourth of the type at Englewood, bought secondhand and the first to be re-powered with a CAT prime mover and Kato alternator, like BC Rail (and TerraTransport) were doing around the same time in 1997… this will be finished in the late red and silver scheme.
The second model is 303, the only unit not to be re-powered and will be modelled in the later yellow with Helvetica font spelling out Canadian Forest Products along the hood with Canfor logos on the cab.
303 also features silver trucks and fuel tank, so the chassis has been disassembled so the truck frames could be primed too, hence it’s sitting posed here without wheels! 
I’ve got the decals drawn up for 303 and am just waiting on some yellow paint. The 304 needs it’s paint scheme working out in a little more detail, how to apply it and what to do as transfers… but this pair will form the backbone of my future N scale logging railroad. Until there is more to show, more soon…

Comments

  1. James

    Have been exploring your blog and was interested in your thoughts about modelling the Engelwood railway on Vancouver Island.

    As I think I said I visited it twice, although in 2003 it was shut down as part of a dispute on lumber exports with the US. I did both occasions get to look at equipment and take photos and video. The latter covered operations from Woss down to Beaver Cove and I had a few chances to talk to staff on the railroad, who were very friendly. It was very inspiring operation but very isolated. Even more so when you consider there were only logging roads north of Courtney until 1960 and all equipment had to come in by barge. I don’t think many railfans actually visited there except maybe right at the end.
    You mentioned the SW1200’s dieselising the railway in mid-1950’s when the long awaited link down Nimpkish Lake was finally built. But these were not the first diesels. That honour went to a couple of conversions – one of a two truck Shay and the other of a Climax both in the early 1950’s and a 600hp GE end cab switcher. When I was there they still had the Alco 2-8-2 #113 in store/standby service and a 2-6-2ST semi preserved

    I assume your modelling will be from the post Cat conversion era and with the use of high stake log cars I guess you will need some log-stackers, if you intend to model Beaver Cove as it was all dry sort unloading in this century. However loading at the reloads was still by A-Frame versions of the spar tree reloads from the 1940’s

    One thing and you may know or have corrected this but having high brake wheels on the log cars ( as your post in June show ) just did not occur. Most if all I saw were low ratchet style well out the way of stray loads.

    If I were doing a model I would do the section ( parts of ) from Camp A Reload up to Nimpkish shops and on to Beaver Cove Dry sort. If I can help with any photos please let me know

    Best regards
    Alan Sewell, Herford UK

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Alan, thanks again for your commentary and extra information. I’m aiming for a 1997+ era, the year the 304 was rebuilt. I’m doing 303 in yellow and 304 in the silver red. My skeleton cars will be a real project, the first two I used the Nscalekits car as supplied with the centre bunk removed. For the newer pair I cut off the end platforms and added a ratchet brake, I think a little variety will be fine, I’m aiming for an impression rather than absolute fidelity.

      I’m lucky to have a copy of the 300+ page book ‘Last of the Railway Loggers’ by Sandy Macham and Maynard Atkinson which tells the whole story from start to finish.

      I first heard of the systems in Robert Turner’s ‘Logging by Rail’ book - and my interest has grown from there…

      Delete
    2. Yes "Last of the Railway Loggers" is a great book. I often refer to it and I have enjoyed "Logging by Rail" as well. I briefly corresponded with Robert Turner but lost the contact. There were also two or three articles in the railfan press which might crop up on e-bay etc.
      If you are looking for variety then you will know the railway used a large number of 40 foot and some 50 foot flats with the deck removed and some 70-foot cars for boom sticks

      Alan

      Delete

Post a Comment

Thank you for leaving a comment on my blog - I appreciate you taking the time to share your views. If you struggle to log in, please turn off the ‘block cross-site tracking’ setting in your browser.

James.