Friday Update: Two Seven Twenty-one…

The week has flown by and it ends with me full of a cold and tired again, having had a few weeks where I was feeling almost 'back to normal' it appears the tail of long COVID is still present...
Most exciting this week were the deliveries I received, some long awaited items, and some unexpected surprises! First of all, I ordered the Garbely publishing book on the Pinsley short lines a few months ago and knew it was on the way (I source my US books through Linda Tinker books here in the UK). Fuelled by my interest in the Claremont and Concord, I have a feeling it will provide many happy hours getting lost in it's red and black units over the holidays - for now it has been squirreled away by Janey for my birthday in August.
The surprising element was the arrival of the first production box of our Planet Industrials X Accurascale commission, the industrial internal user liveried MDOs. I expected these to arrive with Steve, however a large well padded box arrived on my doorstep yesterday and it's great to see these in the flesh. The quality is, as I've said before, awesome, these wagons really have raised the bar on what's available from the mainstream manufacturers, full photos of the wagons are on the Pi section of Light Railway Stores where you can pre-order the packs, that are due later in the summer when the boat arrives from China! The box is especially impressive and a taste of what to expect with our Victory later in the year. Inside, the wagons feature a toned down orange that looks very much at home amongst the greenery on Pont-y-dulais.

In other Planet Industrials news, the complete range of transfers is now back in stock at Light Railway Stores (don't forget the range is spread over 2 pages now) AND the new Port of Bristol transfer pack is also now available for just £7 including enough markings to re-livery 4 wagons.
Another parcel this week, from Canada, was this Briggs Models GP20ECO kit. The model is 3D printed in resin, and features a pack of grab irons, wire, and etched parts. The quality looks superb, this will fit on a second hand Atlas GP40 chassis I picked up a few weeks ago, but I will try and put off starting on the model until the GP9 is completed...
...speaking of which I've been working during the evenings this week on the handrails of this Kaslo resin casting. Unlike the Briggs model is this is from a hand made master, and I suspect is vacuum cast in resin. It's more old school but it's finish is a little better. The details are bringing it to life, and these handrails are pain-stakingly hand bent and adjusted until they're just right. The photos show a little lens distortion - they are all straight and vertical, but not glued in place yet. Now the ends and short hood sides are done, I will add the finishing touches to the body shell (grills and lift rings) before fabricating the long hood handrails.
I posted a video (if you've not liked/subscribed to my video channel, please do so) earlier in the week about the Ruston project, here is a furthe photo that shows the axleboxes with bearing inserted, and the gearbox parts. I need to crack on with the bodywork and chassis now, it's exciting to see this come together. There is still time to reserve a model this year, £1330 gets you a hand made custom model to your specification of gauge and detail, paintwork and finish. 
The Simplex in 7/8ths has progressed with most of the bodywork fitted. This example will be finished as one of the Knowstrop examples. I need to laser cut the wooden window frames and I'm having some couplings to my customers design made specifically for this model...
It's currently planned to have these made in blackened bronze infused steel via Shapeways, which work out about £50 a pair - but if there are others out there interested it might be worth my customer and I looking at doing a small batch. Dimensions are 10mm tall, 44mm wide. Top hook for chains, bottom eyelet for Talisman hook and shackle. Let me know if you're interested in a set...
Earlier this week I shared a post about the Simpson Lumber railroad in Washington state, and mentioned the intention to model one of it's locomotives in N gauge...
...well I picked up another Lifelike model and have carved off the doors where the dynamic brake grills will fit, and cut out a section of hood. The SW900 didn't have the raised dynamic brake 'hump' as the smaller engine allowed for the equipment to fit within the hood outline. I've also added the ditch lights and MU mounts, and these will be printed through Shapeways, once I know they're ok they'll go online. I've designed some etched grills that fit above and below the moulded hood handrail, and some etched side handrails to accurately model the prototype. It will be fun re-creating this distinctive model. In the meantime, plans continue slowly with the N scale lumber empire, it's probably due another blog post in the near future. 

Hopefully this weekend will see some more progress on my GP9, but we'll see how juggling family commitments and model making goes - I hope you all have had a good week, are in good health and have a relaxing weekend. Until next time, more soon...










Stuff:
Briggs kit
GP9 update handrails 
Simpson SW900 and photo of dynamics
Simplex complete and cad of couplings
Accurascale commission
Transfers in stock
Ruston parts with bearings 

Photos: Ruston bearings
Screen shots: Simpson amd Simplex

Comments