Friday Update: Nine Seven Twenty-one…

A grey loco for a grey mood week, despite long Covid tiredness, and shovelling nearly ten tons of slate chippings there has been a focus on Simplii (is that the right term of a collective?)…

On the workbench my GP9RM has progressed further in evenings this week, gaining a coat of primer and a myriad of fuel and air tank detail. As I’m not modelling a CN GP9RM, rather a TerraTransport ‘Halifax South Western’ example I figured I had a little agency in altering arrangements here to reflect my preferences. I’ve imagined the larger fuel tank capacity was a retrofit/rebuild using second hand components was undertaken by IRSI at Moncton, who ‘we’ already have a relationship with through the RS18C rebuilds. I’m hoping to get some colour on this in the coming days, I love when projects come to life,,,
The Simplex are both from Swift Sixteen kits, and share the same radio / sound setup, but show the volumetric increase between 7/8ths (left) and 16mm (right). The larger example is being modified to represent the Knostrop examples, and will get custom designed windscreen and 3D printed metal couplings, the smaller is a standard WDLR model but will be fitted with some custom designed 3D printed Simplex 3 slot coupling pockets. I’m pleased how well they’ve gone together, today will see the electronics gain a cradle and pockets for each component whilst I wait for other parts.
As well as the GP9RM the last of the kits I bought for the feed mill arrived from Gaugemaster this week, their Fordhamptom silos, manufactured by Faller. These are cleverly designed but the fit isn’t great despite sanding and smoothing the joints, so I added a horizontal band in white styrene. On the left the Coop building will be extended right to fill the gap, on the far right the smaller silos are from Kibri. The silos will get a base of styrene so I can paint and detail them off the layout as well as ensure the elevator and pipe work is secured to each tank and avoid damage. That’s a job for the weekend. 

Next week should see the start of a long standing delayed commission, the Renfrew Wharf layout. In the meantime I’ve a weekend to try and get some rest and sleep ahead of another few weeks before the summer holidays! Have a good weekend. More soon…


Comments