Ruston LB in 7/8ths: Gearbox update…

Rather than rely on just pictures I wanted to talk through and show the second revision prototype of the gearbox for my forthcoming 7/8ths batch of Ruston LB…

These hand built models will feature prototype detailing specified by the customer. As the prototype the gauge dictates specific detail as well. For a 45mm gauge model representing 2ft gauge, the gearbox and output shaft sprockets fits between the wheels so as the real locomotive the chain drive to each axle is inboard. On the 32mm gauge model, representing 18” gauge, the gearbox is wider than the wheel spacing, so the sprockets and chain drive are on them outside of the wheels, requiring frame extensions, as per the prototype!
I’ve finished the CAD work for the bodywork and am hoping to have the first prototype of those parts soon. The etched metal grills will be the last to be designed once the bodywork is proven.

The batch is limited in number but I’ve got capacity for one or two more this summer. Get in touch to reserve a model for a £130 deposit, the remaining £1200 is payable in four instalments once the batch is underway. The customer can specify gauge, cabbed or not, exhaust conditioner and sanding gear along with colour and finish. Each hand crafted model includes batteries and radio control. Contact me using the form on the website, Facebook or one of the forums. Until next time, more soon…

I’m not sold on this video format yet, I think it works better for demonstrating working models. We’ll see how things develop.  

Comments

  1. That gearbox revision looks excellent. Can't wait to see it in place and driving the axles. And I think the video format works reasonably well for this kind of thing. Youd have needed a lot of photos and description to cover it all any other way

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Mark, yes, I’m excited. The big test will be the whole chassis assembled, we’re a few weeks away yet. I need to get the parts cut, and then some more delrin sprockets and chain but the gearbox design is a real milestone. I’m not sure about video, but it has its place, as you say, for demonstrating things, or in this case explaining something relatively complex.

      Delete
    2. I must admit I've only ever done videos that are kind of self explanatory as I hate the sound of my recorded voice so refuse to provide a voice over. It does limit what I can video though, whereas I thought this one worked really well.

      Delete

Post a Comment

Thank you for leaving a comment on my blog - I appreciate you taking the time to share your views. If you struggle to log in, please turn off the ‘block cross-site tracking’ setting in your browser.

James.