Andrew Barclay in 009: Prototype proving...

Last week I shared that I'd begun to revisit my first kit, the Narrow Planet / EuroNG O&K. I promised my son I'd build a prototype for his Percy chassis, which handily would allow me to check fit etc before developing a revised kit...
The model is deceptively small, shown here with an equally diminutive Percy chassis'd 1:76 009 Porter saddle tank I built a few months ago. I have been adding the detail parts and working on the finish, it's not the best quality of print I've had from Shapeways recently, so has needed more work than usual.
The eventual aim is to offer one of these trio, and I'm currently leaning towards the middle model, more of an O&K with round topped firebox and plainer cab. However, one thing this print has allowed me to consider is how to work with 3D printing. In the past I've used sprues of parts and very little body detail to a low this to be added with etches. This print I tried a few things out by adding parts to the model as one piece. Whilst easing construction, they make finishing harder - so I'm planning on going back to a sprued approach, and including holes to fit the parts in the boiler and dome etch. I will also add an etched cab front, as I think this will offer better quality to the model as well.
This was the model with details fitted and a first coat of primer. It's pretty rough despite me having worked on the cab already. Primer shows up the worst of this...
Some smoothing and a second coat of primer and it still wasn't great, so a third smoothing with fine wet and dry, the blunt edge of a knife blade and some small screwdrivers...
As she stands now, and I think good enough for a coat of paint. I'm sure my son will be happy enough with her, note I've not added any cab handrails as these are prone to damage when frequently handling a model, like I expect will happen with this one! Currently considering a navy blue with some white markings, possibly some lining too... we will see... it's nice to see it come together, and the experiment, whilst not successful has proven the chassis fit and refined my concept again for how to work with the best of the material strengths. I guess the message is shortcuts and laziness in the design lead to more work getting a good finish in the end. More soon...

Comments