Dyfrdwy Tramway: Overcast yet bright...

The skies may be grey, but the garden is full of colour, not just a lush green but a wonderful display of flowers, a reward from a springtime effort by Janey...

On the tramway, things are bright too, with the orange Keef K40 out running with a short works train to check all was well following some recent maintenance work. I always enjoy running this locomotive, it’s bright colour contrasts well with the bronze green brake van, and the garden in general. With its engine ticking over it sounds just right up and down the line. 

The sky gives some dramatic photos using just the iPhone’s camera, I think these have come out really nicely.
What I’m really happy with is how the older sections have matured, this is encouraging me to work over other areas and bring a little more deliberate detail in them. This needs balancing with its longevity, for example although the post and wire fence looks great, it does need annual maintenance (posts replacing in places and re-wired). The slate slab fence has been much less troublesome, and the roadbed is generally ok. 
The slab walling will need rebuilding this summer, and this is probably the most problematic outdoors, but if I can add some wire reinforcement within its structure I’m hoping it lasts longer.
It’s lovely just to look at, but it’s alive when you run a train...
...probably the most rewarding gardening I’ve ever undertaken! Until next time, more soon...


Comments

  1. James. Your garden railway looks so realistic. Nothing like the vast majority that are railways that just happen to be in the garden.Yours is part of the landscape. I am sure Janey must have played a important part in achieving this result.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That is very kind, if I did an overall photo it would show that is far from the case, I’ve just got a steep hillside to play with at the top of the garden out of the way of the kids. I’ve worked with what I’ve got, and the path around the house is lower where you see the slate fencing and post and wire... so it allows hood angles looking to the distance hills, not just in photos, but in general when playing with it too...

      Delete

Post a Comment

Thank you for leaving a comment on my blog - I appreciate you taking the time to share your views. If you struggle to log in, please turn off the ‘block cross-site tracking’ setting in your browser.

James.