Down on Beaverbrook: Track laying…

It’s been a tonic this week to have a project of my own to work on, that wasn’t a locomotive or rolling stock, Beaverbrook is proving its worth…
A U18B originally saw service on the HSW is now based out of Windsor on the DAR, seen on a running in turn out of the TT shops in Moncton.
I’ve been cutting 40mm wide strips of cork, using 1.5mm thick for the spurs and 2.5mm for the ‘main’. I’ve glued this to the raw plywood surface using No-more-nails original glue, giving a degree of adjustment and an instant grab (both useful qualities when working with cork that has been rolled in storage). 
I’ve done a bit at a time, and cut and placed track as I’ve gone. I also decided to replace the number 5 with a number 6 unifrog for the front spur, which looks better and simplifies wiring. The whole layout is basically live off two wires (until I add droppers to all pieces later). Nothing is glued or pinned, just resting in place, which has allowed some thorough testing of the track plan, so far successful as it takes 30-40 minutes to switch completely.
At the end of line, the Co-op feed mill sees one or two cars a week.
On the back spur the track changes to Code 70 about half way along to give more visual contrast, I’ve just soldered these pieces end to end with the Code 83 as the height differential meant it couldn’t use a fishplate.
Dartmouth Terminal 1502 is being run out from the TerraTransport shops in Moncton following a periodical inspection. The Franklin spur often sees units from the whole TerraTransport system in the same manner…
I’ve enjoyed having trains running, and it’s just the tonic I’ve needed this week. I’m really looking forward to the mix of scenic work that will follow. Have a great weekend, until next time more soon…


Comments