Commission: NCB Barclay in 00...

Although I’ve designed a few conversion kits for the Hattons Barclay, I’m always surprised by the amazing variety of cab styles that existed in reality. In this instance, a colliery workshop modification makes this model unique...
Starting with a Hattons ‘Katie’ that my customer supplied with DCC sound and stay alive crammed in the cab, this was a relatively straight forward modification that just needed a plastic-card coal bunker scratch building. In addition I reduced the height of the chimney closer to scale proportion for the prototype as well as re-locating the whistle and modifying the safety valve. I carefully masked the wiring, cab windows and chassis before priming and repainting in gloss black.
Once dry, custom transfers I had drawn up to match the prototype were added to the tanks and cab sides before being sealed with dull-cote. The good thing with this lacquer is it doesn’t totally kill the gloss finish, so that when the model was then weathered with washes, airbrushed road dirt and soot and then dry brushed metal edges you get a real depth to the finish over the slightly shiny paintwork. This model looks and sounds h great and will be hard at work on my customers colliery layout. 
If you’ve got a prototype you’d like me to recreate why not get in touch for discussion about your requirements and a personal proposal. You can use the website contact form, Facebook or the forum messaging systems. 


Until next time, more soon...

Comments