Revisiting my first kit...

It seems a long time ago when Steve taught me how to use the 3D design software that led to my first kit, the Narrow Planet / EuroNG O&K 40hp...
Back then Minitrains chassis were the pinnacle of performance, and I wanted to design something in 009 that would suit the mechanism with a nod to it's source, and since O&K sold contractor locos in the UK it seemed a good prototype. Well these days the Minitrains chassis are somewhat more expensive and there is a new kid on the block, the Bachmann N gauge Thomas range 'Percy'. This provides a flywheel equipped chassis with great performance with a horizontally mounted motor which can keep the cab clear. I decided to see if my original kit would fit...
My original O&K prototype, running on a Minitrains Krauss chassis.
L-R New version, centre original O&K posed on the Percy mech, right Bagnall which also used the Minitrains Krauss chassis, posed on the Percy.
Well with a little work it looked promising, but rather than start from the O&K I took the design from the Barclayfication kit and worked from that, creating a prototype that I'll build for my son, and hopefully will lead to a new kit in the Narrow Planet range this summer. The tanks are stretched in length to hide the mechanism, but otherwise it's a neat fit with space for some weight inside the boiler and side tanks.
L-R Barclay, O&K, Krauss
I've also drawn up an O&K version, and a Koppel styled version - do you have any preference? Let me know in the comments and I can look at offering different variations when we come to release it. In the meantime, keep your eyes peeled on the blog, for when it arrives I'll work it into a prototype body for evaluation. Until next time, more soon...

Comments

  1. Are you going to redo the Bagnall too?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I’ve checked it already and it doesn’t work on the Percy chassis I’m afraid.

      Delete

Post a Comment

Thank you for leaving a comment on my blog - I appreciate you taking the time to share your views. If you struggle to log in, please turn off the ‘block cross-site tracking’ setting in your browser.

James.