Friday Update: Twenty-five Six Twenty-one…

I only seem to have just written one of these, how does time fly? Here we are again on Friday morning reflecting on a busy week with more to come…

A few months ago I submitted a photo to Model Railroader’s trackside photos and was told it would be in the June issue, but it wasn’t in print, so I didn’t think to check again. This week a look for something else turned this up online! Kinross looks very nice, and hopefully in time we’ll see something in Continental Modeller, until then, get your Kinross fix here
Visit to see more here https://www.trains.com/mrr/how-to/model-train-layouts/a-freight-train-at-night-a-diesel-at-the-turntable-a-steamer-in-the-shop-and-other-model-railroad-photos/
In the workshop there isn’t much to show on progress, I’m still strangled by the lack of plywood materials for home buyers as the layout commission is stalled, and I’ve parcels in the Atlantic with important parts stuck either on the waves or held up in customs. In the UK my usual suppliers are struggling and I’m waiting on some specific drill bits before I can progress the Simplex further, however the 2D CAD is finished and I’ve sourced parts for the next iteration of Ruston LB prototype building. I have finished the prototype of my next Narrow Planet kit, a small 0-4-0wt that uses the Bachmann USA Percy. A short video here…
Although we’re still waiting for an update on Victory it was exciting to receive photos of the first production set of the Accurascale / Planet Industrials project, our industrial liveried MDO wagons. The production batch are shortly to be on a ship, so on track for arrival in Q3. 

Despite not being able to progress the bodywork, I have not completed the wiring and sound fitting for the 7/8ths Simplex. This sounds wonderful, the system uses a Fosworks radio control and DCC interface, a Digitrains supplied Zimo sound decoder with Paul Chetter sound file. It’s configured so you get a lovely stuttering idle, as prototype, amd then when you increase the throttle it revs up, until you back off slightly, a really natural and fun way to drive the model. Mind, not cheap! Now I’ve done one of these, I’m happy to offer this system to my customers, and can offer any sound file offered by Digitrains. The size of the components would make smaller models impossible but in 7/8ths it would be possible in almost anything. It’s certainly the most realistic experience I’ve had yet with digital sound.
Back in the sketchbook I’ve been talking to Chris again about N scale and Englewood…
…whilst trying to not get distracted by things like Simpson lumber - another wonderfully evocative now gone operation in the Pacific North-West USA. Anyhow, there is lots to think about, meanwhile I’m waiting for the etches for my own SW1200 conversion and I’m expecting these next week. I’ll try and write something this weekend on current thinking and the challenges I’m working through as a OO/H0 modeller approaching this new project. I hope you have a good weekend, until next time, more soon…

Comments