What’s the code?

As regular readers will know I’m the past 9-12 months I’ve rediscovered my H0 scale modelling of my teens, and enjoyed building Kinross, planning a layout (or two) based on the Claremont and Concord and have begun a larger H0 layout, Beaverbrook...
Compared from above the code 88 wheel sets (left) to Walthers Mainline 110 (right). The tread is visibly narrower. Despite this they don’t drop in frogs or derail on Peco turnouts.
Through these efforts I’ve been reworking older models and I discovered something that some may not be aware of, which can make a massive improvement to realism. Modern Peco trackwork (the 83 line in my experience but I have a suspicion that the 75 stuff is also ok) will accept finer scale wheels without modification. 
Kadee code 88 replacement wheel left, Walthers Mainline right. In the past these blackened metal wheel sets provided out of the box would have been welcomed with open arms, now it’s worth considering something even finer, such as the Kadee option.
The NMRA specification RP25 is well known amongst H0/OO modellers as a quality wheel profile standard. What many don’t realise is the standard is followed by a number. RTR models usually use RP25-110, where the second part corresponds to the overall width of the wheel. Traditionally sloppy track laying meant manufacturers would fit steam roller wheels to accommodate changes in gauge and poorly aligned turnouts. However, things have vastly improved in this regard for many of us using well made ready to lay track in a semi prototypical manner without tight train set curves. As a result, as a personal experiement,  I’ve been moving my H0 rolling stock over to RP25-88 which looks great. American outline rolling stock has it’s trucks at each end (like some more modern European bogie wagons) so these are much more visible than traditional British 2-axle wagons. Not a cheap upgrade, but using replacement wheel sets can also improve the appearance in terms of the finish too, my favourites are Kadee as they’re blackened satin finish is much easier on the eye over the bright shiny darkened glossy colour we see on out of the box rolling stock.

I’ve not looked at British options, but I wonder if brands like Accurascale and Rapido Uk could be persuaded to look at using the improved standard on their future releases? I’m considering specifying a finer code on future Planet Industrials models. Until next time, more soon... 

Comments

  1. At least one manufacturer in the UK is doing RP25-88: DC Kits' Lowliner wagon uses that wheel profile.

    That's not likely to be a great deal of direct use to you, since the wheels are only 7mm diameter (quite useful for 7mm scale narrow gauge, though), but it shows that at least someone is thinking along similar lines.

    I dare say the difference would be quite visible as well, since a Lowliner has inside-framed bogies, and the small diameter would only make an excessively thick wheel more obvious.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That’s great news, is that on a new batch because on the 2010 batch it looks more like RP25-110 profile?
      https://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/14873-realtrack-models-fla-update/page/2/

      Delete
    2. https://www.dckits-devideos.co.uk/index.php?route=product/product&product_id=493 is what I bought (I've no idea how they look on the wagon; I was after some 12in diameter wheels for a 7mm narrow gauge project). I bought them this year, so I'd guess they are newer production than 2010.

      I don't currently have the means to measure to the nearest thou, but one of these wheels seems to be slightly over 2mm thick, which would be about right for 88 thou (~2.2mm). They also look thinner than some Kadee code 110 wheels I have.

      Delete

Post a Comment

Thank you for leaving a comment on my blog - I appreciate you taking the time to share your views. If you struggle to log in, please turn off the ‘block cross-site tracking’ setting in your browser.

James.