Llangollen Railway: Childhood connections…

Yesterday I shared a few photos from a saunter down to the railway in 2021, today I have dug out a few un-seen photos from my childhood albums, forgive the nostalgia, there may be some rose tinting…

Berwyn station, circa 1990. Photo Keith Hilton.

This photo of Berwyn evokes memories of days out as a child when we’d often visit the Horseshoe Falls at Berwyn on a Sunday and walk over the river and up to the station to watch a train. On the bench is my little brother Andrew in an Arsenal away kit, and me, I think, with the school socks and Hi-Tec white trainers… notice how tidy the trackwork is, the platform still just three carriages long before it was extended over the bridge, and the old water tower - a remnant of the fairly recent time that trains only ran as far as Berwyn. I believe my first trip was to Deeside Halt and I remember the first time I travelled to Glyndyfrdwy, today my home, a few years later when I visited the railway again with my best friend Tim and his Dad… 

GWR 57xx Pannier 7754 at Carrog, circa 1996. Photo James Hilton.

The second photo is 7754, the ‘Welsh’ pannier (I’m sure initially it was preserved by some sort of national Welsh museum organisation?) saved from the NCB and eventually restored to working order at Llangollen, currently under major overhaul (I do look forward to running behind it again). The photo is taken at Carrog, on I expect the first time I rode the line that far, and before she was repainted in Great Western green later in the 1990s. Don’t ask me the year, I’d guess 1996, but it might be later. Carrog has always been my favourite station on the railway, not just for the cakes, but for it’s feel as a sleepy GWR branch line station. I just wish they’d clear the yard of junk… 

Now I live with the railway in close proximity I’ve definitely taken it for granted. I wish there was a residents pass you could buy, as I’d ride every few weeks as it’s on my literal doorstep. For now, I enjoy the sights and sounds of trains in the valley, and look forward to the return of 7754. More soon…

Comments

  1. Hi James

    WAs interested in your photo of 7754 at Llangollen. Back in 1970 I and a couple of friends did a trip around some of the south wales collieries. We saw 7754 in the back of Mountain Ash loco shed being steam tested but never saw it at work but did see Pannier 9600 at Merthyr Vale. I have sent photos to your e-mail address if they are of interest but apologise for the quality - they are over fifty years old now

    Enjoy your posts very much

    Best regards

    Alan

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Alan, received. Yes, I believe 7754 was not a favourite of crews at Mountain Ash, but it’s industrial career proved a saviour as it meant it was able to be donated to the National Museum of Wales… the rest is history.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This was so beautiful to read, this morning over a quick coffee break from work. You've mentioned this railway before and I always get this sense of strong connection shared between you and it and posts like this really enrich my understanding of it. I love that you're sharing this story with us in ways like this and inviting us to see it as you do, know it as you've been.

    Thank you

    Chris

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Chris, I’ve got more photos hidden away when I can find them! The connection we have with places is so interesting. I’d never dreamt I’d live here, in close proximity to the railway… living with the railway.

      Delete
  4. Hi James,
    I've enjoyed both this and your previous very evocative post about the Llangollen Railway.
    Planning to visit the area next weekend as I have a few days off...looks like trains will be running so I look forward to being able to take a ride again, hopefully in a DMU.
    One thing I found amusing when my (now Ex-) wife and I visited in the early 1990s...train (Class 25 and maroon Mk.1s) arrives at Llangollen, early 20s girl on the platform remarks to her partner "I haven't seen a train like this where you have to open the doors yourself before"...on the Southern Region at the time, the vast majority of services outside the London area were still using Mk.1 based slam door stock and would be for at least another 10 years!
    All the best,
    Simon.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hope you enjoy the visit, and I’m glad you enjoyed the blog posts, thanks Simon. If you have good weather it can be beautiful but low cloud does tend to spoil the views. The railway needs all the support it can get at the moment too, I’m sure they’ll appreciate your trade.

      Delete
  5. Thanks James, I did! Arrived in time to have a cuppa and Welsh cakes before boarding the 12:50 DMU on sunday, had a great ride up and back with the view of the track through the front windows.
    I know many dislike DMUs but at the moment they're an absolute Godsend as they can be operated far more cheaply and easily than a steam service and they have the advantage of a driver's eye view which you rarely get with a loco hauled train.
    The Llangollen Railway is one of my favourite scenic lines, hopefully I'll be back again soon.
    Cheers,
    Simon.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Thank you for leaving a comment on my blog - I appreciate you taking the time to share your views. If you struggle to log in, please turn off the ‘block cross-site tracking’ setting in your browser.

James.