Narrow Planet remix…

It was ExpoNG 2013 that Tim and I exhibited his layout ‘Grindley Brook Wharf’ and the story of this model begins, after an impulse buy of a Minitrains Krauss locomotive and a beer or two in the bar that evening…
Why doesn’t anyone do a true 009 body kit for this wonderful chassis?

That question was knocked back and forth all evening with loads of ideas and grand plans, however it was through the support, tutoring and encouragement of Narrow Planet’s Steve Fulljames (now my business partner in Planet Industrials) that I developed through multiple prototypes of 3D CAD and etch design my first kit, the O&K 40hp, NPL-003 (ENG-001). Several versions have been produced over the years, including a small batch of limited editions, including Eigiau (Tim finished the prototype for me). Well received, and the second best selling of my kits, I revised it a few years ago but the availability of the Minitrains chassis and the chimney we used made it an early casualty. 
It was the release of the Bachmann N gauge ‘Percy’ that prompted the revisiting of this old project, and the initial proof of concept was a Andrew Barclay for my son, Alex. Talking things over with Steve it seemed that this might be a neat way to celebrate our origins, and it didn’t take much to alter the 3D artwork. 

What we did well, done better…

It was going back to the basic premise that people, well us modellers, enjoy making things. One piece detailed prints have their place in our hobby, but the joy of assembling a well thought out kit is something we all enjoy. When we started, 3D printing often suffered from rough surfaces and needed prep. The first O&K was designed with surfaces that could be easily sanded smooth, before adding detail with etched overlays. Extra parts were included for clack valves and such, the whole thing then screwing on to a lightly modified chassis. You could go to town on pipework and handrails, or leave it as it came, and anything in between…

The essence of this drives what you see here… a basic body print with surfaces easily smoothed. However, we’ve upped the detail and flexibility by making the upper cab front and rear etched. This means no more fiddly fitting of window etched surrounds but also allows near flush glazing. The new model now comes with pre-formed holes for handrails, clack valve and steam control valve, making the fitting and detailing easier. There are still opportunities for extra detail, like the scratchbuilt sanding control lever in styrene section, and the hinge on the Smokebox door. These aren’t strictly necessary but allow the modeller to add their own touches. Hopefully we’ve achieved the mantra ‘done better’.

As I write the prints are here, and I’ve checked and prepared each one, as I do with all my kits. The etched parts are on order, and I’m about to write the instructions, with a prevailing wind the kit will be released in time to allow Christmas delivery. If you fancy one then keep an eye out here, and on the Light Railway Stores website, and whilst your waiting get your hands on the Bachmann donor chassis! More soon…

The prototype, a 3D printed body, detail parts and prototype etch. Photo James Hilton.


Comments

  1. This is beautiful.

    I like how the post itself is written in a very natural tone. I feel like I can hear you talking through this project and that feels so incredibly personal. These models don't just happen-there's a person behind them and this is that person.

    The engine itself is so cool. I really do need to just go order one of these Bachmann Percy's to have. The chassis sounds amazing and seems to be such a great foundation for so many cool looking models.

    Chris

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Chris, it’s been a wonderful journey, and I’m proud of this remix. It feels like going back to our roots, yet with learning from all that we’ve done on the way. I’m glad my energy and passion are carried over in my story telling with this, as I can’t get over how excited I am in just a written word…

      Delete
  2. James,
    quite nice.
    This model meets the proportions of the prototype better than predecessor.
    Especially the ratio of wheelbase and overhang.
    Well done !
    Recently I have 'discovered' your quite interesting blog and added it to my favourites.
    Best wishes
    Dirk

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Dirk I am both glad you have found my blog, and that you approve of the remix. I agree, the Percy chassis improves the balance…

      Delete
    2. James,
      typical for those O&K locos from the 30th on was the trumpet-like chimney.
      See loco 'Helga' from Bredgar (https://bwlr.co.uk/about/stock/steam-locos/) or no.18 from the museum in Frankfurt (https://www.feldbahn-ffm.de/dampflokomotiven/)
      Cheers
      Dirk

      Delete

Post a Comment

Thank you for leaving a comment on my blog - I appreciate you taking the time to share your views. If you struggle to log in, please turn off the ‘block cross-site tracking’ setting in your browser.

James.