Collections: No.1 books…

Whilst clearing out my storage cupboard, preparing Kisten Torfwerk for sale and evaluating what else was in there, it struck me that I have a habit of developing collections…

As part of a new occasional series, I thought it might be interesting to take a look at each of these, explore what led to the development of the collection, whether it tells us anything about ourselves as modellers, and to ponder what next? In this first instalment let’s look at…

BOOKS



Our hobby is such a wonderfully diverse creative pursuit, one that spans many genres, points in history, scales, prototypes, countries, you name it there was probably a railway there and a good chance that someone has written about it! Some of us are blessed with the focus of a particular railway company, perhaps country, perhaps even branch line or specific location. For me and my butterfly mind I find inspiration in photographs often found on the internet. Many of these lead down a plethora of rabbit holes, pleasurable explorations, sometimes stopping at just a book purchase, others a model locomotive, sometimes even developing a plan that ends up with a physical layout.

The result is a library full of diverse subjects, you may see some themes if you study the photo above, plenty of narrow gauge, industrials, a smattering of Canadian and an inherited collection of Great Western and Somerset and Dorset themed books from my Grandpa.

However the collection of books, although driven by a thirst for knowledge, becomes an object unto itself. Seeing these neatly arranged shelves of crisp spines, knowing that each contains many hundreds of wonderful period photographs, historical descriptions, drawings, modelling inspiration are aplenty! There is a joy in just owning the collection. Does this lead to its expansion, the unnecessary purchase of a new book? Perhaps, but the joy of flicking through a well written well researched and well produced book for the first time, and for a good book many times after, cannot be underestimated. I treasure this collection of books and I hope to see it grow over the years. When I was a little boy I always dreamed of having a library with floor-to-ceiling bookcases never really giving thoughts as to where those books may come from. Now in the middle of my life it feels like that dream may well be a reality by the time I retire!  

Next time we’re going to look at a collection of 009 narrow gauge locomotives but more on that soon…

Comments

  1. I've found buying books is a good way to indulge that interest in some new topic without spending a huge amount of money. They can be expensive, but it's not like you need to then get rollingstock and a place to run it all. And even if that particular whim is fleeting you'll usually learn a little more to inform whatever layout you might build.

    Tim

    P.S congrats on finding a copy of Cane Train!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Tim, that’s it in a nutshell. A rabbit hole might end with the book, I guess what I’m saying here is that the joy of the book itself can be savoured, and collected for its own sake as well. That might not be modelling, but it’s certainly feeding an interest.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Some books are just a pleasure to own for the sake of the object. Others because there is that one inspiring photo that gets the creative juices going.

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a fantastic place to start: the library. My own library expands and contracts over time to include additions as byproducts from new curiousities and then existing favourites that left when I felt like I knew someone who would benefit from enjoying it as much as I did. I have these ideas of stored memories left on reserve in these copies and often just touching one of these copies turns on that reel, reminding me of when I bought the book, maybe why I collected it, and what was on my mind at that time. Plus, you get to an age when parts of the library have travelled from house to house and in those stored memories are thoughts like: "I remember reading this here or there."

    We live in a great time. Internet connections have radically enriched our experience and it's wonderful to reach beyond the printed page to expand our knowledge of what's out there waiting to be discovered or to introduce among friends. Equally, I still love and always look forward to the indulgent isolation and contemplation waiting to be found, here on the couch, buried deep into those covers imagining all these great places. Rereading old model tramway books and reflecting on what it's been like to return to those favourites or my enthusiasm for spending time with the newest additions.

    I love it.


    Chris

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Chris, I can just feel that relaxation as you sit back and get lost in a good book, that description of the indulgent nature of getting lost in the pages reminds me of my own experiences sat in front of the fire in winter, the quiet of the mid evening when everyone in the house is off doing their own thing, dog tucked up alongside me… preferably with a nice beer..

      Delete

    2. James
      Thought I would like to add my thoughts to your blog on collecting. I agree that we as modellers are often collectors and I think the longer we are in the hobby the more that becomes true. Nowhere is that more true in my opinion than collecting information to make our model railways/railroads more realistic or indeed building a variety of railroads. I know now there is a vast amount of information on the web but nothing feels like a substitute for books and magazines – the analogue source. Over the past fifty or so years I have collected many books on railways that interest me and also to develop my knowledge of how they work, what equipment they had and, as I am really interested in industrial railroads, the industries they serve.
      I have not ever catalogued them but given the space they occupy I feel my wife believes I am obsessed with this collecting!!! However I still maintain that a book or even an article or photograph is a resource that cannot be beaten and somehow just opening a book and looking makes it you have a window on the system which the internet rarely gives me. Maybe it is just a feeling of connection with the author and his or her research but a book seems right and is much easier to dip into I find. Given a choice between buying new book or a new piece of rolling stock the book will always be my first choice
      I have two areas where my “collection” is housed. I have some books in the loft in shelves under the model railroad, but main area that I refer to for most research/inspiration is my study and available without moving too far . I have three bays of book shelves which are each six foot six high by just over two foot wide. The first has books on logging and shortline railroading together with my files of photographs and articles on these subjects. The next bay holds more logging but additional books on sugar railroads ( cane or sugar beet) , military railroads, the Rio Tinto mines and railway, slate and quarrying. The third bay has more general industrial railways including part of my collection of Industrial railway Society Handbooks. Sometimes I feel I need to thin this out but then again I never know when it might be useful!!! So it just grows
      Enjoying the blogs they are always interesting
      Best regards
      Alan

      Delete
    3. Thanks Alan, and thanks for the photo in the email of your own library. Mine is spread over the workshop and bottom room, arranged in no particular order but I tend to be able to find things when I fancy dipping back into them. I agree with your thoughts on the immediacy and intimacy a book lends, versus the digital alternative, there is a tangible pleasure in physically holding a book, absorbing one’s self in the pages within. In fact, I’m off to make a coffee and find a book to dip into now…

      Delete

Post a Comment

Thank you for leaving a comment on my blog - I appreciate you taking the time to share your views. If you struggle to log in, please turn off the ‘block cross-site tracking’ setting in your browser.

James.