Layers like an onion…

One of the first ‘new’ models that I purchased as part of my Canadian H0 scale project was the Athearn Genesis GP15-1, having always had a soft spot for the phase 2 GP with its short stocky appearance and distinctive radiator section…

That model was a black Norfolk Southern liveried model, I quickly patched it out and had a few disasters along the way but ended up with a believable ‘leasor’ unit. Later I added an ESU Loksound V5 and she came alive, but I was never entirely happy with the finish, despite reworking the weathering a number of times…

Then I saw a photo…

…of an entirely different prototype and something clicked. I dug out the Smokebox Graphics reflective strip decal sheet (Non-Reflective FRA 224 Strips) I’ve used it previously on the HSWR GP9 and the Guilford GP40, basically a very useful sheet covered in several shades of reflective strip in different but consistent lengths, tightly printed and when you use them they have very small carrier film and settle down over any finish, without needing a gloss substrate, I love them (OVR Trains will send them to the UK as Smokebox don’t ship to the UK).

Halifax South Western 1437 pictured on Beaverbrook. Photo James Hilton.

Now I look at the model on the layout and I can’t help but notice how I love the layers...
Stock paint scheme patched out… 
Sills painted yellow… 
Number added to lower cab side…
HSWR added now it’s a TT unit…
Dirt builds up over time… 
Reflective stripes added over the dirt…

Layers.
Literally and figuratively.
Layers of work.
Layers of time.

I think it’s important to recognise, that like many of my models, the inspiration came from collaboration and in this case, Chris, who recently shared some lovely posts about his travels and trains…

Layers of human experience expressed in parts of change and the evidence left in it’s wake…

Study of Cape Breton and Central Nova Scotia SD40-2 at Stellarton. Photo Chris Mears (https://princestreet.wordpress.com/2021/10/18/of-skeins-and-sd40s/)

We talk about layers quite often in scenery (if you haven’t dipped into this video series yet take a look) but perhaps we could look at layers in the finish of our models, a perhaps even our modelling over time. Layers, just like in life, add to the realism. Dirt and nature wasn’t made in one pass, layers blend and interact with one another, each adding to the whole. Until next time more soon…

Comments