Gwent Coal's 03 at Renfrew...

In March last year, none of us had any idea what ‘lock down’ would mean and I started a small project, to produce Gwent Coal’s 03 using the Bachmann model as a basis…


It was a fun project, but completed quickly meant that I had no excuse but to finish Pont-y-dulais! It might not be regularly used but having dug it out for a few photos on Renfrew, I enjoyed seeing it again so I’m sure it will get another turn on P-y-d in the near future.

It’s generation was inspired by a photo of the prototype (now where have we heard that before!) a beacon of brightness in the gloom of a coal concentration depot… as happens again and again locomotives join my collection because I’m motivated to create them in miniature, in my hand, through my eyes…


Seeing her once again, in an industrial setting not unlike the grittiness of Newport, hustling coal wagons around the yard… the 24t in particular… perhaps I need a few more of them…


My mineral wagon fleet is probably a little too varied, and needs more uniformity! Pride of Gwent was driven from my desire to recreate a particular prototype, if you’ve got a model you’d like me to recreate in miniature then get in touch. I can combine scratchbuilding with CAD design to generate custom etched metal, 3D printed parts and decals that come together to really bring your unique model to life. The contact form is now on the home page (click the title text at the top) and then the menu icon (3 horizontal lines), in the meantime, more soon…

Comments