Mundane yet familiar…

It all seems worth it now, it has taken months of work, on and off, and has involved several frustrations and setbacks, but seeing the finished model evokes those feelings of familiarity…


The classic Class 08, the humble shunter, the gronk, the stalwart that lives on even today in service across the UK, shunting industrial settings, permanent way duties on the national network, the back bone of many preserved diesel fleets. We all should have one on our layouts, and for longevity it should be blue…
Now I do, and because this was a custom repaint, and because I used a faded shade of BR rail blue over a pre shaded body, I’ve got that wonderful worn tired finish you struggle to achieve when starting with a factory paint finish. Yes, it’s still OO, yes it’s still got the awful Bachmann side rods… but it’s got character. Bags of that… (This model has appeared plenty of times previously, most recently here).
I’ve already enjoyed shunting Pont-y-dulais where it looks right at home, as if the NCB had hired it in, as they did in many locations in later years… it will equally look at home on my Cornish cameo, that I’m still hoping to build, probably next year now… although equally, if that turns into another Purbeck layout, it will suit that too, a solid performer, one that never takes centre stage.


I say finished, of course, now I’ve taken these photos I have noticed the missing whistle! I’ve lost the original so this might need some creative use of sprue and wire to recreate something believable. I probably need to paint the cab interior as well, as I’ve noticed it’s more visible through the laser glazing than it’s original Bachmann windows. I was lucky that a friend came to the rescue (thanks Paul) with a set of suitable glazing as all attempts of ordering a set through Shawplan have met with no response. A shame as they’re excellent quality products, just sadly not readily available.


Chris asked:
How does this feel to have finished?

I reflected…
It’s funny… Usually the actor takes centre stage… but the blue 08, so gloriously mundane and workman like blends in to any railway scene… It’s presence merely enriches the overall experience rather than shouting for attention. Does that make sense?

It does make sense.
We think that strength is because the leader marches out front but I believe our goal is to lead by empowering those we share this space with so the success of our work is in how it promoted the others. The better the model, the more aware of it and the less we see it distinct from its surroundings.

I’ll sign off this post with a photo of her on shed… 

Imagine… the exhaust still hangs in the air, the smell of hot oil and electricity in your nostrils, the warm ticking heard as you walk alongside. Nothing going on but everything to experience…


Until next time, more soon…

Comments