It’s potato season…

Last winter I spent an enjoyable few months working on a small micro layout I called Kinross. Fuelled by photo inspiration from Bill Linley’s trackside Maritimes book and a friendship with Chris, it was the perfect rest cure for my post-Covid recovery…


Even today turning on the lights and just looking at the Bachmann 70t that I reworked, sat with the CN van or perhaps an old reefer transports me to those photographs and that feeling of calm. It’s been busy here this week but I turned on the lights and just had to take a photo and share a little of the potato season…


The photographer was obviously more interested in the 70t, these photos taken from the road that almost parallels the line here east of Uigg. The 70t was sat waiting to switch the Visser spur, switching out a loaded car for a fresh empty, the short siding limiting how many cars can be loaded at once…

This winter I have an itch to build another layout beyond the 009 Creech Barn, we will see where that journey takes us, until next time, more soon…

Comments

  1. I love this photo and how it reminds me of others, others took in this place. I'll remind Future Chris to send some of those to you to enjoy too.

    As time moved through the 1970's on the eastern road branches on the Island seeing a moving train became so much a function of chance and luck. Sometimes the few photos of the engine are a reminder that we were surprised to see anything moving let alone prepared to receive it.

    That single 70 tonner at Kinross suggests some other story happening here just out of focus. While never a rule most often crews left Charlottetown with at least two engines. On the Murray Harbour Sub. they might split and send half the crew and one engine off down to work Vernon or Mount Albion and that leaves us here with 35 at Kinross. I discovered railfanning or "train chasing" on the Island but at these kinds of speeds and while plotting these kinds of events chase always suggests something moving a little more quickly than we are here where time is always the most bucolic of commodities.

    I'm so glad you found this photo. I love seeing this. .Talk about a day made in a moment.

    Chris

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you my friend, as ever your kind words encourage and inspire.

      Delete

Post a Comment

Thank you for leaving a comment on my blog - I appreciate you taking the time to share your views. If you struggle to log in, please turn off the ‘block cross-site tracking’ setting in your browser.

James.