Cream of Cornish: Clay based cameo…

This is the third time I've recently sat and sketched a layout plan based upon the Cornish china clay industry and it's railways, those previous schemes even made their way into the book! What is it about the cream of Cornish and the trains that have enabled its extraction that so greatly appeals to me?

50149 - Drinnick Mill.
50149 at Drinnick, 21st October 1988. Photo: Nathan (https://flic.kr/p/2mRy6FE)

Yes evocative photos (above) and John Vaughan books, but more than that. These trains weren't your run of the mill freight, no... for the young modeller I was drawn to photos of the bright sky blue hoods of the china clay trains of the 1970s and to the unique bright white modern Clay Tigers appearing in magazines. Today, it is to the longevity of the CDA fleet still in use and add to the mix old and interesting classes such as the Beattie well tanks and 1366 Panniers on the Wadebridge branch in the 50/60s, the NBL Type 2 diesel hydraulics on clay throughout the 60s to the unique 50149 in the late 80s when British Rail toyed with modifying the tired 2700hp WCML thoroughbreds for freight duty in the Duchy... there is just too much for the enthusiast and modeller who loves to create unique locomotives and stock that is special about clay.


It was a David Mitchell photo of the low level of Drinnick Mill (see illustration) taken from the Parkandillick branch that drove this scheme. So full of character, this photograph's view along the tracks disguises the length of the real scene and somehow my eyes saw the possibility of a cropped caricature where horizontal distance is compressed whilst verticals remain true to scale. In OO this could end up quite tight but by using just an 08 and focusing on shorter wagons (the CDA, perhaps the Ponts Mill PRAs) on clay and a 2-axle tank wagon or HEA on the fuel siding, with bagged clay exported in VDAs. All of these available ready to run and would allow you to capture the scene in a relatively short timescale. Operationally this is very much a shunting layout, switching loads and empties as required - auto coupling would be great, the self contained cameo style working best with hands off operation when possible. I'm really excited by the balance in this scheme. The visual of both 'ends' is equal, the 'view block' over bridge even has a branchline on it. In between the mix of buried track and visible bullhead would be really attractive and even better Peco have just released the medium radius bullhead turnouts which would make the whole thing even easier to squeeze onto my IKEA Lack shelf... I thought I'd share my energy with Chris...

Sketch by Chris Mears (https://princestreet.wordpress.com)

I was playing with this and wondered about shifting the aperture to the right of your focus to include the head-shunt into the coal yard and push the clay loading building off stage. I’d suggest a two wagon long traverser behind the sky with at least two tracks on it so you can shunt a pile of different wagons into “there” without modelling it or losing sight of the engine working the clay sidings.

As usual, our transatlantic conversation got me thinking - this looked an interesting build, but from a purest 'scenic' sense I couldn't see the benefit...

I think my biggest “gain” is that the engine and where it works remains in scene. I imagine the wagon positions at the clay dries are really all the same so working them is just shove in-drag out. As there’s less happening here I moved that into the wings to draw the narrative closer to the centre of the stage.

Another is how in reality I’d want to visit and see the engine that works here. I’d want to watch the engine at work. “Which is like how we’d watch the real thing” translated into our model work. Our attention concentrated onto the engine and the wagons it touches. The train is longer but it comes from and is shoved back into a place beyond the peripheral of our attention.

Chris nails something here - when we design a small layout we need to consider what is our focus - are we driven by recreating lead actors (our favourite locomotive) or perhaps specific items of rolling stock. It could equally be the location itself, or perhaps a key structure. Understanding what we're driven by will help us frame the scheme. My initial sketch assumes the character of a clay works is the stage, and I'm modelling the stage... the stock being just a supporting role. Flip things, and make the humble 08 the lead, and shifting the track all right, and adding the headshunt to the fuel spur, and as Chris says, our actor is on stage more of the time. This balance on a large layout needn't  be considered, but when space is at a premium a minor re-framing of the same layout can make a big difference to it's success. Well worth considering, as I did recently with Paxton Road. 

The conversation with Chris also had me wondering about the same scheme in N - not compressing the size (approximately 1m x 25cm), but I thought that by using N the lead could be included without loosing the essential balance of structures and overgrown spaces...

This is the best kind of paradox, this almost meditative state of layout contemplation.

This is a first for me, genuinely wondering if I should build this in N! Until recently N has been an afterthought, focusing most comfortably in 4mm scale, but this personal reflection perhaps doesn't belong here - and I stand my initial composition as offering a wonderfully characterful portrayal of a small clay works, a true model railway rather than a model of a railway, a blank canvas for your clay orientated models - be they Heljan 1366 Pannier or Kernow Beattie and some hoods, or more modern operations, or perhaps all of the above - the beauty of the cameo 'stage' is that all of this is possible. I would love to hear what you think, and how you might build it? Until next time, more soon...

Comments

  1. This is what I love most about designing layouts for limited spaces based on a prototype location ... it always amazes me what each view considers the main focus of the scene ... like you, I have a tendency to go for the visual supporting scenery since I think that draws the eye in ... focusing on the motive power has never been a strong influence/desire for me, but that could be because I have never done much rail fanning of equipment, I was more interest in the location ... and the lead me to focus more on the visual appeal of the finished design. I think you did an excellent job converting the prototype to your footprint, and the 3D mock-up just cries out to be modeled. Very nice work!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Rob great to hear from you. I am glad this has given you a chance to reflect on your own drives. I’ve decided to give it a go in N, but that is a story for another time.

      Delete
  2. Hi James

    Really liked the this post on the cream of Cornish clay. I have been fascinated, like you over time, by the clay works railways of the West Country. I guess it was holidays in Devon and becoming aware of an industry seemed so far away but also so important to the local economy, where railways played an important part in their success, that interested me. In retrospect a UK version of the remoteness of the north American forest products, the sugar cane or Spanish mining railways that fascinate me today. My first model railway when I came back to the hobby in my mid-teens was a freelanced version of the North Devon Clay Co assuming that they had standard gauged their system and still ran the Torrington and Marland Light Railway.

    Your plans look good but my starting point would always be “does the works have its own switcher(s) ( sorry shunter)” as his to my mind allows the possibility of always having something working while waiting for the transfer train to appear. This also fits with having the loco in the scene most of the time and also fixing the industry within the scene. Having looked through the IRS Handbook on South West England plus Google Earth I think the ECC/Imerys Rock Dryers near Bugle might be worth a look. There is heavy woodland at one end and the driers themselves plus some other building form a block at the other end. As a big plus is the works used a variety of plant switchers (and I think still do) including ex BR 08’s, Sentinel 4-wheel and six-coupled units and a Thomas Hill 0-6-0.
    Other places might include Par Harbour with its cut down 0-4-0saddle tanks and the low bridge might be a good scene block, although that could be made larger to allow bigger (full height) locos.

    Best regards

    Alan

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Alan, thank you for your thoughts... I had a feeling as I sketched it 'Alan would want a works shunter', that's funny isn't it! I completely agree, if industrial is your thing I've covered Crugwallins previously that used a Sentinel. I could literally do a whole book on clay based layouts!

      Delete
    2. Hi James
      Well in my opinion every works needs at least one "plant switcher" so your feelings were right. I visited Crugwallins ( and I think I sent you a couple of photos) . It was interesting but a very very restricted yard. I think Rocks Driers is a bit more expansive and had more of those pesky works shunters

      Best regards
      Alan

      Delete
    3. I mentioned Crugwallins only as I knew you’d sent me photos yes, I will consider Rocks Driers but I am focusing here on small layouts and these larger sites sometimes don’t compress as well.

      Delete
  3. Hi James, been binge-reading your blog since discovering it just a couple of weeks ago. I, like so many, have been an 'armchair modeller' for years and have never got anything built. Your cameo layouts are an inspiration; the joy that can be gained from simplicity has stopped me making excuses ("well, if I had the space, then of course..."). I've recently inherited a Sentinel and an Andrew Barclay and now I'm actively planning a small model centred around an NCB landsale yard - keep up the good work, matey - I suspect I'm not the only armchair modeller who you've galvanised into action.
    Best wishes, Nick

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Nick, thank you for your first comment here - and I really appreciate you saying such lovely things about the blog, the book and what it has inspired you to produce. Of course I enjoyed writing the book, as I do designing and writing about schemes on here - but it was always my hope that what I had to say would resonate with people and provide a bit of a nudge, or inspire them into action. Good luck with the layout, wherever it leads it will have been both a journey and learning opportunity - and hopefully a lot of fun too!

      Delete
  4. Hi there James, I actually happen to have a track plan for Drinnick that I think you will like/find interesting as well as scale drawings of the building you've marked on your plan as "warehouse", which I intended would form the centrepiece of the plan. That building has some interesting local history. It was originally built at the outbreak of ww2 to house a special process designed to refine aluminium out of china clay, which could then be used in the manufacture of aircraft components. After the war, the building was refitted as a dryer that used waste steam from the power plant to heat a rotating drum onto which a thin film of clay was applied and scraped off as it completed its revolution. At its height before the power plant shut in 1986, there were 5 dryers of varying types all running on the waste steam.

    Drinnick building plan: https://i.imgur.com/BBn3UwH.png
    Drinnick layout plan: https://i.imgur.com/3L6zZMA.png
    Alternative backscene depth: https://i.imgur.com/vE8fLNt.png

    My plan views the site from the opposite side to yours, which saves it from having to represent the immense power plant, but still includes the coal chutes. The branch line rail overbridge forms the leftmost scenic break, while the large clay store forms the rightmost scenic break. Fiddleyards on both ends allow ample opportunities for trains to enter and exit the scene.

    Another interesting tidbit about Drinnick that is little known, Nanpean wharf was situated immediately beside the main engineering base of the industry, and as such it would receive industrial equipment deliveries by rail. For instance pipes and valves would come down from Stanton ironworks. After coming off the branch line the lack of a passing loop at the wharf meant the locomotive would be at the "wrong end" of the train so to speak, so to remedy matters these deliveries would be reversed down to Drinnick to allow the locomotive to run around the wagons, before being propelled back to the wharf. This perhaps gives an opportunity for a little bit more added interest besides just the clay and coal traffic.

    This trackplan is just one of several clay industry plans I've come up with over time. If you're interested perhaps we could correspond some time? I have a Crugwallins single point cameo that I've often thought would be right up your alley.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Scott - you're welcome to message me on the contact form - it would be great to see and learn more...

      Delete
    2. Wow Scott, that is an excellent version of Drinnick ... thanks for sharing your track plan.

      Delete
    3. I think Scott’s plan is very accurate actually, less of a cameo in that sense, never the less the reason it works so well is the prototype is very well composed in this location.

      Delete

Post a Comment

Thank you for leaving a comment on my blog - I appreciate you taking the time to share your views. If you struggle to log in, please turn off the ‘block cross-site tracking’ setting in your browser.

James.