Lochdubh: What makes a model railway?...

I still haven't built a fiddle stick for Lochdubh. How can a model railway that is basically inoperable be such a wonderful place to get lost, if only for a few moments...


Perhaps, as the cover and title of my new book suggest because this isn't a model railway. It is a work of art - of my hand - representing my connection with the railways of the Scottish highlands and woven with my own experiences of the area along with hopes dreams and a decent amount of inspiration from other artists and TV shows!


The layout itself nears 'completion'. In this shot not usually achievable with the lid fitted I have given the track and ballast a weathered wash, I have added some fencing (top left) and bedded in the croft (top right). What you can't see is a little more vegetation along the back of the platform where water has been leaking out of the retaining wall. Still to do? I think I'd like to add a road sign at the top of the bridge, I will have to see how that looks. I am also scratch building some litter bins for the platform, which I suspect may be the finishing touch.

So, what future for a layout that doesn't run? What is the purpose of a model railway if nothing moves? For me, this little slice of Scotland is a wonderful think to enjoy and just look at. I'm not sure it will have a home here forever but when it's time to move on comes, I can sell it as a complete package with locomotive and coaches, Landrovers and all - and someone else can enjoy it's calming nature in their home. Until next time, more soon...


Donate
I love writing and creating material for the blog. If you enjoy what you read and engage with I would be appreciative of any donation, large or small, to help me keep it advert and restriction free.

Comments