Coferna in 009: weathered...

Well we're on the home straight for my first 'finished' French 009 locomotive, as the Coferna looks to pip the La Meuse over the finishing line...
This evening I started the gentle process of weathering the model. I've done two stages so far, with a third, final, one to come. First up the model had some dilute washes added to the chassis, buffer beams and foot plates. This was white spirit with a dash of Humbrol 98 (chocolate) and 33 (black) - both matt - added to give some relief and false shadow. I let the wash applied to the footplate soak up the bonnet sides too, with a dash more black, to give the impression of a little leaking oil.
Once this had started to dry I used Humbrol 53 (gun-metal) to dry brush the door handrails, edges of steps, buffers and axle boxes. This highlights some of the raised details and gives the impression of worn metal surfaces.
The final touch was using the same green as I used on the body to touch up around the lettering to hide the transfer film. Once everything has dried I'll take the third and final weathering step, and airbrush some 'dust' from above, 'dirt' from below and a touch of exhaust to the roof. More soon...

Comments