Change for the better...

Sometimes products change over time, and sometimes we lament these changes, wishing things were like they used to be, but on occasion, things change for the better...
Comparing Peco SL-U8362 (left) with the SL-E8351 (right), just look at the sweep on those blades on the new Unifrog point.
Take these Peco Code 83 points - ignore the fact their US outline for just one moment, and in the second, ignore the fact one is Number 6 (left hand) and one Number 5 (right hand)... in that third moment glance along the switch blades, and just pause, absorb that beautiful continuous curve of the new Unifrog Code 83 (SL-U8362) on the left! I believe many have lambasted the Uni-frog. I think it's a beautiful and sensible blend of both types of turnout, simplifying the manufacturing process. Peco didn't have to change the style of the turnout blades, but they have, and it's gone from being a well functioning toy, to a miniature work of art. I love them... I believe they will rolled out across the range, and this is a great example of a product improving and maturing over time. A big round of applause for making a change that wasn't necessary but has greatly improved the realism of these turnouts, thanks Peco!

I should add, despite having done work for Peco in the past, both these turnouts, in fact all the track I use on my own projects is bought out of my own wallet. I'm writing this because I believe it, not because I've been paid...

Comments

  1. They look gorgeous and smooth.

    Not clear from the photo, but are they a single continuous rail all the way from the tie bar to the frog with no hinged joint; i.e. just flexing the rail? It certainly looks that way which is fantastic as that's how I've hand built a couple of test points. I guess the only question is does that require more force to change and/or hold them in place? Obviously the PECO ones will have a spring to hold in place but will they need stronger point motors to kick them across? Either way just visually they are a serious improvement.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They are a single continuous rail, like the Bull-head Code 75. I can't detect any more force by hand, certainly no problem for a solenoid anyway... visually a massive improvement. I suspect David Malton's hand in these... if so he deserves a lot of credit.

      Delete
    2. That all sounds brilliant. Thanks for the extra details.

      Delete

Post a Comment

Thank you for leaving a comment on my blog - I appreciate you taking the time to share your views. If you struggle to log in, please turn off the ‘block cross-site tracking’ setting in your browser.

James.