Claremont and Concord 44t: Clean and ready...

I’ve managed to finish off another project over the weekend, the Claremont and Concord 44t built from a lightly breathed on Bachmann 44t...
The work just involved stripping the ATSF paint, smoothing and filling mould marks, replacing moulded door handles with 0.4mm brass wire and a full repaint. I shared the model in gloss red on Friday, well Chris kindly let me have a set of his decals bought a number of years ago, and these went on well, despite my concerns at their age and the risk of silvering or tearing off the carrier film.
After sealing the paint with dullcote I’ve reassembled, adding Kadee air hoses and the original EZmate knuckle couplers (easier than replacing as they are a direct fit). The glazing was reusable but I didn’t want to risk damaging the paint by removing the cab, so plumped for flusher but slighly miniscus compromised glue and glaze, not helped by the thickness of the shell.
It looks the part, although interestingly it’s height red bodywork doesn’t look great on Kinross, which features a more bleached colour: I suspect it would look good on Pont-y-Dulais if that didn’t feature chaired track, with its richer palette. To finish, a Modelu engineer driver figure has been ordered for the open window, and a gentle subtle weathering will finish things off nicely.

EDIT: I’ve removed the glazing, it just tears out with tweezers, I couldn’t live with it and will be investigating other options for now.

I’ve now got the stock ready for the Claremont Paper cameo, perhaps this leap frogs the Corkickle scheme? Or perhaps I should focus on the ‘big one’ next... more on that in another post soon. Although these American projects are a personal passion, the skills and techniques used are the same for whatever prototype and if you look at my commission work, I can offer simple new numbers through to complete repaints, including weathering to your requirements. If you’ve a stalled project perhaps a one off unique commission may be just the thing to give you the impetus to finish it, get in touch for a personal proposal. In the meantime, more soon...  

Comments

  1. I've been really enjoying your posts on this project. I too am a fan of the Claremont & Concord ever since seeing those fantastic photos on railpictures.net. I look forward to see your work on the layout and how it all comes together.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, yes, it might be some time before a layout appears, but I've enjoyed this little diversion. I think the idea of a small C&C micro is very appealing because of the operation - and that is something that will need careful consideration.

      Delete
  2. Looks great James!

    A weathering treatment is next I assume?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Indeed, thanks Jeff - looks even better with the glazing replaced. I managed to cut out the cab seats and slot the original Bachmann stuff in for now - although laser glaze would be a real transformation. I'm also not all that happy with the front and rear handrails, without the step ones painted yellow they were a little bendy but not to conspicuous, however now they stick out like a sore thumb. One to mull over, really they'd need to be soldered up, but they're quite tricky as they'd need a jig to be all the same. It's whether, for a fun little project, I decide that's worth it!

      Weathering, next, but only a light one as the prototypes seem to have been pretty clean.

      Delete
  3. Great! But you know you need a second one ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi, what clour red did you use? Thanks, great model you made!

    Grtz, Ronald.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Thank you for leaving a comment on my blog - I appreciate you taking the time to share your views. If you struggle to log in, please turn off the ‘block cross-site tracking’ setting in your browser.

James.